Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #1 
lillyandquigly

Question female betta

how can you tell that the female betta is ready to breed? this is my first time breeding and i have one crwntail male and 2 crowntail females.
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #2 
lillyandquigly

i really need to know this so please help me
Old 11-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #3 
BeautifulBetta

They'll be really fat with eggs, and their 'egg spot' will be showing. On darker females, they'll have light vertical bars on their sides. If its a lighter fish though, it can be harder to tell, you gotta be the judge and watch her behavior. Males are pretty easy, if they have a nest and are prancing around showing off to the female, chances are, they're good to go lol.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:01 AM   #4 
BeautifulBetta

Look at this thread, It'll probably describe more. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=82910
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 AM   #5 
EvilVOG

i'm new to all this but i showed my female to my male yesterday, and today she has a stripe pattern that she didn't have yesterday (aka vertical bars) Hers were actually a darker color.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:05 PM   #6 
lillyandquigly

thanx, my sister's betta blew a bubblenest, and is really flaring at my females, but i don't know if they're ready.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:25 PM   #7 
mountaintrout

I am always a bit scared that my female will be hurt. So many have said they know it happening. I've been very lucky and not had it happen. A few needed extended "hospital" tank to build her back up.
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:27 AM   #8 
turtle10

I have been reading through your threads, and I am going to be honest with you, I don't think you are ready to breed (if that is what you are doing). I could be wrong, but that is just what I am assuming, especially since you didn't know what the signs of stress are in a fish or if they are ready to breed. What most people here are told is to do research and get ready to breed for at least a few months. It is very easy to get excited about making baby bettas but it is just as easy to overlook the reality of the care it will take. Here is a VERY basic list of breeding necessities:

-At least a ten gallon tank for breeding in (CANNOT be the male or the female's tank, has to be a different one for territorial reasons)
-At least a 20 gallon grow out tank for the fry
-Live baby brine shrimp (which require an air pump and airstone)
-Live worms (not the kind adult bettas eat, but the teeny nearly-microscopic worms)
-Live food for the adults during conditioning
-Lots of 1 gallon jars/containers for when you separate the male baby bettas

Having bred them before, I know that it is a lot of work, SO much more work than you would think. That is why I say to not do it for a few months, and if you still want to after that then do it. By then you will also have more experience with bettas also.
turtle10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:49 AM   #9 
mountaintrout

I have what I need and am waiting at least 2 months. That's why I'm here. To learn. To study. To find the most benefitial information I can. I enjoy your openness in your words. Admirable even. I will do as I will when I have what I truly need in both supply and information. Anything else you have to contribute would be wonderful. Thank ya kindly.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:52 AM   #10 
mountaintrout

Any thoughts on black criwtsil dragons. I have been studying the genetics at length. The female blacks seem to be infertile. So using coppers
whlat I've read. Then f3 back to the male. Thoughts?