Curlyfatbottom

U mean dumping them in ice cold water.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #42 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
U mean dumping them in ice cold water.

Not exactly. I mean like putting them in a smaller container that will be less water thus making the process faster. Also the fish would just freeze and die, Then you can flush without making him or her go through the torture.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #43 
Curlyfatbottom

I think your way is more suffering to the fish.
Cause it will take hours until the fish going to die.
If your going to cull.
Make it as fast as possible.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:02 AM   #44 
mountaintrout

I've found out so many times that free has an open end payment ....dogs...cats...fish...but that is t&e dad coming out in me......please dad! Its FREE ......
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 AM   #45 
bettalover2033

I dont understand what your saying mountaintrout.

-BL2033
Old 11-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #46 
bettafish15

Culling a live fish by freezing is the cowards way IMO :/. Clove oil is best, it puts the fish to sleep and kills it in it's sleep when you keep adding more. When you freeze the fish, it just takes a long time for the poor thing to get cold enough for its organs to fail. It is not painless for the fish, they feel the cold and die a slow death. Not a good idea IMO. Clove oil or blunt force is the way to go. If I was a breeder, I couldnt bare to do blunt force so clove oil is best, I think. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:28 AM   #47 
mountaintrout

Bettalovet. What I mean is that my kids have brought many "free" pets home that I have paid much for in food vet shots kennels etc..... so no "free" as a daddy of 2 sweet little animal loving ladies
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 AM   #48 
bettalover2033

@mountaintrout: I see what you mean.

@bettafish15: If you visit my thread, Culling a Betta you will see that I am asking about this Clove Oil.

-BL2033
Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #49 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
Exactly. Its like one shipper said that if there was a DOA, then you must cut of the fish's head and take a picture of the dead fish. I couldn't believe my eyes when i read that and he said if you cannot do that then dont bid on my fish.

-BL2033
I can understand that breeder's point of view - many are trying to .... con(?)/cheat their way to getting free fish by making the fish look dead. As mentioned about olive oil - you can stun a fish, a take a picture then revive it. But by cutting its head, the fish is definitely dead.

Nevertheless I do think he is too extreme. Because usually dead fish is colorless (not sure about stunned fish) and become stiff in a curved position. Besides, their water (in the original plastic bag) should become cloudy. So DOA's would be obvious without having to cut off the head.

To keep BW alive longer, you can put it in shallow water (+/- 1" water). But make sure there's enough room on the floor for them to spread freely. Otherwise it it may be too crowded and they will die. You can also place them in the fridge (not freezer) to slow their metabolism (can also do this to mosq. larva) so they wont kill each other with their wastes.

IMO culling by freezing is cruel because they freeze slowly. Clove oil or fed to large fish is better. And I wouldn't feed to turtles as well because they shred their food. But that's just me. Everyone has his/her own way of culling.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #50 
tpocicat

Culling is never an easy decision, but keeping hundreds of fry is even harder! Oscars are quick by the way.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote