Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2011, 08:39 PM   #1 
MJK87

Plant Issue. Petco Lies!!!

So im a little upset. Today I was at petco and decided to get a grassy plant for my tank for the background. I bought a pot of mondo grass thinking that it was going to be like the grass in the beautiful display they have at the store (since thats what the employee told me it was) but upon further research I found out that it isin't the grass in the display and that it is not a true aquatic and will die in tanks. Ive had this problem buying plants from petco more than once and im fed up. Can someone tell me some true aquatics that will thrive in my 5 gallon tank? I need background plants and some foreground plants. I found what looks like a reputable website called planted aquariums central and I have decided to bypass petco and order them online so Im sure I get what I need. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

I have a 6500k 13 watt fluorescent bulb in my hood and floramax plant substrate. My tank also has one Anubis plant that is growing well.

Thank you.
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #2 
Silverfang

Some of the simpler plants, and fairly low light, are anubis (as you have found) java fern, and java moss. Anachris can be hit or miss, it grows like a week, but it needs to be trimmed of browning leaves very frequently. There is a really nice guide to aquatic plants which I highly suggest.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=76428
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #3 
nel3

i remember seeing a forum thread that listed semi aquatics LPS usually mark as fully aquatic. cant seem to find it atm :(.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

You can get a neat grassy sort if effect by attaching flame moss to smaller rocks...once the moss starts growing upward it looks nice and grassy...some other grassy looking plants would be dwarf sagittaria...microsword..dwarf hairgrass.. vallisneria..
I have only tried the moss and vallisneria though and my val melted and didnt survive...I have a very low tech low light tank though so that may have been the reason. If you can get it to grow though val makes a wonderful grassy background plant..I also recommend rotala as a background stem plant...It is a very hardy plant and it grows really quickly...I started out with a few stems and now have 2 tanks full of rotala... Java fern is a nice plant too.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #5 
Silverfang

if you want a nice floating plant, pennywort is awesome. My girls nap in it all the time.
Old 11-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #6 
MJK87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
if you want a nice floating plant, pennywort is awesome. My girls nap in it all the time.
I know this sounds like a really stupid question but how do you float a plant? Do you actually plant it and let it grow so that the top of the plant floats on the surface or do you just float the whole plant on the surface of the water?
Old 11-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #7 
PewPewPew

When you "float" a plant, so long as it can live that way, you literally just allow it to float. No planting needed. Some plants like vals, anacharis, etc. do indeed grow that tall and "bend" with the water when they get tall.

Note, though, that not all plants can live well while floating.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #8 
thekoimaiden

Java fern (can't remember what it is labeled as) is sold at Petsmart and is a great background plant for a 5 gal. I have duckweed as a floating plant in with my bettas. Water sprite it another good choice for a floating plant, but it's not available at Petsmart. Anubias is another good choice for a 5 gal, and I think it is found at Petsmart.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:36 PM   #9 
MJK87

Can you actually buy duckweed or does it only come from hitchhiking on other plants?
Old 11-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #10 
Silverfang

I've seen it for sale on aquabid, most places just have it as a pest and I've seen plants listed as guaranteed duckweed free