Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #1 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Swim Bladder issues

Ok, so I just bought this giant from my local petco. I bought him to see if I could save him. He can't stay upright and he cant swim either. He just lays on his side at the surface. I put him in my fish room temp 78-85 in a gallon tank with a teaspoon of epsom salt and conditioner. I also added an oak leaf for tannin's. Is there anything else I can do for him? Also when will I know if he is gonna make it or not? Is there a "normal" healing time? Thanks in advance!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:11 PM   #2 
Myates

You did all you could, lets just hope it's something simple as SBD and not anything more serious such as ammonia/nitrate poisoning which is usually deadly.

I suppose if he starts moving around, making an effort to swim and eat then you can say he has a better chance at surviving. Otherwise, if he starts gasping at the surface, goes pale, and overall starts to look worse then I would keep trying and just hope he pulls through..
Just keep an eye on him to see if he sinks to the bottom, then would need to lower the water level.

Hope he is strong enough to pull through, he would have a good home with you. Best wishes to you guys.. keep us updated.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:04 AM   #3 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You did all you could, lets just hope it's something simple as SBD and not anything more serious such as ammonia/nitrate poisoning which is usually deadly.

I suppose if he starts moving around, making an effort to swim and eat then you can say he has a better chance at surviving. Otherwise, if he starts gasping at the surface, goes pale, and overall starts to look worse then I would keep trying and just hope he pulls through..
Just keep an eye on him to see if he sinks to the bottom, then would need to lower the water level.

Hope he is strong enough to pull through, he would have a good home with you. Best wishes to you guys.. keep us updated.
He didn't make it . I took him back and got my money back...
On a lighter note I went to another petco and bought 2 giant males that were on sale for half off. Thats less than I paid for any of my HM males. I will make a thread and post pics when they settle down and relax.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote