Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Just Had a Mini-Heart Attack

My dog, Anvil is old. 15 years and he's going deaf and blind, so I always worry about leaving him outside unattended because we have a pool, which he likes to drink from.

Unfortunately, my dog is also blessed with short, Corgi legs, so it's always difficult for him to reach the water and if he ever fell in, for him to swim.

I let him outside today with the puppy because I didn't know the last time he was let out to relieve himself. The puppy came back in after about 10 minutes, but my dog didn't. I thought that maybe he was still milling around the yard, but got up to check on him.

When I got outside, I just saw his head peaking above the top step of the pool. My poor baby had fallen in on the steps, thankfully, but I was so scared when I first saw him in the pool. He was soaking wet and the water was freezing, he didn't even try to fight me picking him up to get him to dry land.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #2 
ManInBlack2010

oh i'm so glad you were able to save him! my dogs drowning is one of those nightmares i have. Does he know where the stairs are so he can get out??
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

He's too short and arthritic to make it out on his own, and I doubt he's able to see where the steps are since he has difficulty seeing me when I'm a few feet in front of him. Just gonna have to accompany him when he needs to go out.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 
ManInBlack2010

poor guy, i hate when they get to that point in life, ya know? I'm so happy you were able to get him out, though :)
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

I'm definitely not looking forward to the end with him. He's been my only dog ever.

I am glad that today wasn't his last. He's a lucky dog for sure.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #6 
Rosso1011

It's really hard watching a dog you love get old. I didn't have any near misses with Challenger when he got older but someone did shoot him in his side when he was a puppy. We euthanized him a couple of years back due to the pain from his arthritis getting really bad. He was having it pretty rough since he was losing his hearing and sight. Towards the end, he used to bark at me cause he couldn't see well enough to know who I was. He was one of our few dogs to get old.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Poor thing. I'm glad he's ok. Can you put a life jacket on him when he's outside? It might sound silly but it would at least keep him afloat and keep him from drowning if he fell in.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:54 PM   #8 
Rosso1011

Silly as that may sound, it's actually a good idea for an older dog who might have trouble getting out of the water but I still agree with pataflafla that it might just be a good idea to accompany him unless he takes a long time to do his business. Then, maybe a life jacket might be a good idea. Sorry you had to go through the stress of finding him in the water.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

Never would have thought of the life jacket. I'll have to see if I can find one that'll fit him, since his boy is in the big dog category, but his legs are in the small dog.

Took him the rest of the day and all night to finally be dry. Kept the heating blanket on his bed so he could be cozy warm if he wanted to and gave him a little larger dosing on his anti-inflammatory meds this morning (It's an as needed dose since he's nearing the end).
Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #10 
doggyhog

Poor thing! I'm glad you got him in time though..

I agree, maybe a life jacket would be a good idea!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote