Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 01:16 AM   #1 
Strat725

Vacation Question

Hey All! I am a college student and am going home for 5 days for Thanksgiving and I'm not sure what to do for my betta. He's in a 3 gallon filtered and heated, non-cycled tank. I bought some of those 7 day vacation feeders, but I have read reviews that they sometimes don't work, but when I tried testing it, I had no idea how to tell if it was or wasn't working right. Should I just give him that and hope for the best? I read somewhere that bettas can go a while without food, but I don't know if that's true and don't want to risk it... Does anyone have any experience with vacation feeders? Or have any other ideas for feeding him during the vacation? None of my housemates will be home, so I can't have them do it and it's too short of a time for me to take him with me.
Thanks!
Strat725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:20 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

Dont worry about feeding him.
It's very easy to overfeed using vacation feeders and that will do more harm than good.
I've left bettas up to 10 days at home without food and they were just fine. It might take a few hours after you offer food for them to take it once you come back but they will be ok for 5 days.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:08 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

My boys are being left for 10 days with no food. I think your boy will be just fine for 5 days.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

I agree. He'll be fine without food for a few days. I've left mine for about 10 days before as well. Those vacation feeders do tend to overfeed and they make a mess of the tank. Best just to clean the water before you leave and let him go without food. He'll be fine :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote