Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 10:14 AM   #1 
Neutron

10 gallon sorority tank mates

So I found a LFS nearby that is selling female bettas who have been together since birth... and I have been wanting to start a sorority for a while now. I feel this is the safest way to go! I also don't want to have to separate them and have even more single betta tanks around the house!

I currently have 2 emerald cories in the 10 gallon, got them from a pet store where they were in BAD shape.. and in the same tank as goldfish. So anyway I took 4 of them home and only two survived. They are pretty happy just the two of them, they swim along together in the tank. I don't want to get any more of them because it's only 10 gallons and I am going to wait until I set up my larger tank.

I have live plants and a TON of algae in the tank so I was thinking I'd pick up an Oto or two to clear that up. Good tank mates for females, correct?

Now for the female part, I was thinking I'd just get 3 of them to avoid over stocking my tank. I read somewhere to avoid even numbers of them. Can anyone clarify this? Is 3 enough to spread out the aggression? All the bettas for sale are cambodians and I want the chance to add some different coloured females in the future. Furthermore, if I got say 5 bettas would my tank be overstocked with 2 cories and 1-2 otos?
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #2 
mjoy79

Someone may have a better response for you - but in my opinion 5 female bettas + 2 cories might be overstocking. And 3 females is usually too few - two of them will gang up on the weaker one. Plus you'd be taking them from their original group so the dynamics would cause some issues, at least initially. Hopefully someone with more sorority experience can help!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:19 PM   #3 
hedgehog

It's always possible to just keep one betta in your ten gallon tank and add two more cories. I'm sure a betta wouldn't mind this setup nor would the cories.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM   #4 
kfryman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
It's always possible to just keep one betta in your ten gallon tank and add two more cories. I'm sure a betta wouldn't mind this setup nor would the cories.
That would work but he or she (sorry) want to set up a sorority. Don't take this as a harsh comment though I think you may have just skipped over it

Last edited by kfryman; 12-01-2011 at 05:53 PM. Reason: wrong word
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:10 PM   #5 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
That would work but he or she (sorry) want to set up a sorority. Don't take this as a harsh comment though I think you may have just skipped over it
It's okay I don't think it's harsh. It was just a suggestion since cories should be kept in groups of four. Satisfying both the cories needs and the needs of the sorority would be difficult to do in a ten gallon. I personally would chose to meet the cories minimum requirements first since they are already in the tank. It's also just generally easier to keep a single betta in a tank. I didn't skip over the sorority aspect I just thought that the tank planning seemed overstocked especially since a sorority needs 4-5 girls and cories should be kept in groups of four.

Seriously though the comment wasn't harsh at all
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #6 
kfryman

Yeah I understand though the fish that are already owned should have priority though.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #7 
kfryman

Yeah I do think that the fish that are already bought and owned should have priority. i said thaat because some people might think,"You calling me dumb? Ahhhhhhhh hell no!" Yeah, so I just didn't want you to may hate me. Wow my post didn't show until now -_-. Sorry for the double post!

Last edited by kfryman; 12-01-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: saying sorry lol
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 AM   #8 
Rosso1011

I do not know anything about sororities, but as mentioned above, corydoras should have a school of at least 4. Corydoras are very social fish that do well in schools and can be housed with most any type of fish, as long as the fish isn't large enough to be a predator. That being said, with a ratio of 1 betta to 2 corydoras, your little cories (not sure of the plural of cory o.o;;) will probably get a little "bored" and tend to be a little more lethargic.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:43 AM   #9 
mjoy79

I dont think the OP is responding to this thread. Plus he's posted a pic of his setup in another thread of 3 female bettas 2 cories and an oto. just FYI
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #10 
Neutron

Sorry, I'm somewhat new to this forum thing and forgot I even started this thread!

Anyways, I picked up 3 females from my LFS. They are super small and all look the same. I only picked up 3 because I want some variety in colours and also because I wanted to avoid overstocking my tank.

I set up my 55 gallon this morning and the two cories will be going in there in a few days. I am fully aware that they need to be in bigger groups... I didn't just buy 4 and expect two of them to die, but they weren't in the best shape when I got them. I need to wait until my LFS gets more emerald cories before I can get some more. Guess I should be a little more specific on this website. I know you all have good intentions though!

Anyway, I want to add 2 more females to the sorority once the cories are out of there. So 5 females with 1 oto is not overstocking to my knowledge? Oto will be going back to my dad's tank once the algae is cleared up. How should I go about adding the two of them? I would pick them up from Petsmart because my LFS only has females that all look the same. However the females at Petsmart are all in individual cups, potential problem?
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote