Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Starting a Sorority!

Yep, it's true! I am finally getting a sorority. A Canadian betta breeder finally had some females, so I'm splurging and getting 7 of his females for my 10g.

I was going to get the blurred out Female #3, however she sold before I got her, so he will be sending me a Cambodian Crowntail girl in her place, which I thought was nice of him. It'll be interesting having 6 HM females and 1 CT female. I'm very excited!

So, do you have any tips for me on sorority life? I have a whack of plants that'll be going into their tank, and already a bunch of live plants that float at the top, so I'm covered there. Anything else? Thanks!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 PM   #2 
bettafish15

Also, does anyone have tips on how to add them all at the same time?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #3 
bettalover2033

Well if you know the basics of running a sorority then you should be fine. You just have to make sure that you keep a very watchful eye on the tank with them released because as they are establishing the pecking order then they are waiting for the toughest one to stand out and you need to be able to see who that one is. Don't be too paranoid about them loosing small pieces of their fins because you need to know that, that will definitely be happening.

Once the dominant female is 'in charge' the other females will be just swimming around and guarding their territories. It is crucial for you to make sure that you have 'distracting fish'. These are just school fish that will make the bettas basically distracted and calm them down a bit if you will.

So they are a very important part of having a sorority. I suggest mollies and neon tetras and just add a few zebra danios. Those are the best fish. You should get 4 of each. Maximum is 4 because you only have as little as a 10 gallon tank.

Well I wish you good luck and keep us updated.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #4 
bettafish15

Hm, I have no access to get dither fish. The tank might not be filtered if we cant find an extension cord, so even if I could it wouldnt be good on my bioload. I'm also out of money :P The best I can do is put bunches of my snails in their tank. There will also be a male in a 10g beside their tank...
Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #5 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
Hm, I have no access to get dither fish. The tank might not be filtered if we cant find an extension cord, so even if I could it wouldnt be good on my bioload. I'm also out of money :P The best I can do is put bunches of my snails in their tank. There will also be a male in a 10g beside their tank...
Well to be honest, I personally wouldn't set up a sorority if you cant get a filter running through the tank because even if you get snails, this wouldn't be a very good idea. Also just for you to know, snails actually add A LOT to the bioload that will be in the tank. They leave waste almost every slide they take.

So that wouldn't be the best idea for you to get something like this going unless you have all of the materials/fish/ect.

-BL2033
Old 11-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #6 
brownmane

Just curious as to how you get along. I have a 10 gallon, and started with 3 females, but one jumped out during a water change and I didn't know I just added 2 new ones 3 days ago. Other suggestions I have read on this site about keeping bettas occupied is to change the decor every once in a while. Apparently, some of the nipping/aggression problems can increase if the bettas are bored.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM   #7 
bettafish15

I already know about a snail's bioload, I am no newbie to the field :P It is 90% likely that I will be able to hook up my filter to the tank. I have all the materials. I have heard of others having sororities and not having dither fish. If worst comes to worst, I can add the 3 cories I have in my 14g to the filtered 10g. I have plently of seeded filter media as well, so cycling isnt an issue.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmane View Post
Just curious as to how you get along. I have a 10 gallon, and started with 3 females, but one jumped out during a water change and I didn't know I just added 2 new ones 3 days ago. Other suggestions I have read on this site about keeping bettas occupied is to change the decor every once in a while. Apparently, some of the nipping/aggression problems can increase if the bettas are bored.
I agree with you completely, but i dont understand what your asking in your question
"Just curious as to how you get along"?

-BL2033
Old 11-20-2011, 07:49 PM   #9 
brownmane

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
I agree with you completely, but i dont understand what your asking in your question
"Just curious as to how you get along"?

-BL2033
Not a question. Just commenting that I would like to know how things go with the sorority.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:51 PM   #10 
bettafish15

Ah, I see now Brownmane. I will certainly keep this thread updated! They should arrive Wednesday morning. I will be kept busy until then, as I'm going to take the sand out of their future tank first, it's looking hideous now LOL.