Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #11 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I already know about a snail's bioload, I am no newbie to the field :P It is 90% likely that I will be able to hook up my filter to the tank. I have all the materials. I have heard of others having sororities and not having dither fish. If worst comes to worst, I can add the 3 cories I have in my 14g to the filtered 10g. I have plently of seeded filter media as well, so cycling isnt an issue.
Well it sounds like you are set. Just as long as you keep an eye out for them which I have no doubt you will!

-BL2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownmane View Post
Not a question. Just commenting that I would like to know how things go with the sorority.
Oh okay.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:54 PM   #12 
bettafish15

Yeah, I think I'm set, I'm just not sure how to add them all at the same time. I guess just have their shipping bags handy, net & toss them in one by one? After acclimating them to my water, of course.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:01 PM   #13 
brownmane

Yeah, adding that many fish and trying to float bags in a 10 gallon is going to be a little challenging Good luck. Very exciting.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:04 PM   #14 
bettalover2033

Yeah, you want to add them all in at the same time so there is not one that just thinks the whole tank is just for her:).
Good Luck.

-BL2033
Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #15 
MaggieLynn

When I added my girls, I set them all in a cluster letting them look at each other seeing which had the most fight them dumped them in less aggressive to most, although one was sickly with clamped fins, so I brought her back for another female, and I only had issues when I took them out to do a water change and rearranged the tank, and I guess I messed up territories because all hell broke lose lol. since then no real issues, I also bought a female sold as a male and didnt add her until about 2 months after I got her and there was one fight between her and a trouble maker but other than that if you can handle ripped and nipped you sould be good.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 AM   #16 
bettalover2033

Oh that reminds me. It helps enormously to keep aquarium salt in the tank to make sure that when a female feels the need to nip the female that was nipped will have her fin grow back faster than they would usually. When I had my sorority up and running a while back, I always had Aquarium Salt in the tank to keep the females fins full of like and color.

I usually put aquarium salt in the tank every two weeks. And that kept their fins at their original length. So that is just a tip I would suggest.

-BL2033
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #17 
Tikibirds

I just floated them in their cups and let one out every minute or so. Mine are actually very mellow, sO much so that I cant tell who the alpha is, although I am assuming its the giant girl.

The only thing is sometimes a girl or two may just be too aggressive to be in a set up like this. I had to ban two girls from it. Once they were gone, all nipping stopped.

Also, keep in mind that even if all goes well, that can turn at the drop of a hat. You may wake up one morning and find a girl badly beat up or dead
Size doesn't seem to matter, I found my largest female dead one day :( I suspect the culprit was Butterbuns, who has since been banned from the soriety.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #18 
bettafish15

Thanks for the advice guys! I don't have AQ salt, and I live in a remote town, so when someone gets nipped, clean water will have to do. I'm very hopeful that it will work out.

Edit: Some people say it helps, some say it doesnt, but the 6 HM females are spawn siblings, and the one CT may end up being alpha :P
Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #19 
Pitluvs

I put my girls in individual spaces and watched their behavior, then adjusted who should be added first, second, third and so on. It just happened that my pet store Suki was first, pet store Teeko was second, and the 3 breeder girls didn't matter cause they were all nasty creatures lol My tank works wonderfully though, not a single nip since the day I put them together 2 months ago. Good luck with your sorority!

And also, 7 females is more than the max I would put in a 10g tank. I woudln't add any more fish. I have 5 in mine and I can't wait to upgrage them. They seem so crapped.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:50 PM   #20 
bettafish15

Yeah, I agree that 7 is the max. Wouldn't want them to be... 'crapped' XD teehee. The seller pushed the pick-up date to thursday, so I'm kind of glad because I want to take the sand out and move both my 10g's out into the main room down here so I can have the filters on, because right now they're in my room and the filters were too noisy for sleeping.