Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #31 
bettafish15

Yeah, I really want to. Now that I'll have all these gorgeous HM females and even a CT female. I'd just have to get HM males, since all of mine are VT, with the exception of my moms DT. :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #32 
GreenTea

Just to add...

If you overfeed the girls a bit before letting them out it will help them be less aggressive. You can float them in clear containers next to each other for a bit if you want so they can see each other but not get to each other.

And to bettalover and others: YOU DO NOT NEED A DISTRACTION FISH! :) That tank is full and females are just fine together without a distraction.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #33 
bettafish15

That's a good point! I will definitely feed them well before letting them in the tank. They won't be in containers, they'll be in shipping bags. I have no clear containers I could float them in :P
Old 11-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #34 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Just to add...

If you overfeed the girls a bit before letting them out it will help them be less aggressive. You can float them in clear containers next to each other for a bit if you want so they can see each other but not get to each other.

And to bettalover and others: YOU DO NOT NEED A DISTRACTION FISH! :) That tank is full and females are just fine together without a distraction.
IMO/E Distracting fish are an important part and personally I wouldn't run a sorority without them. They add to the empty space and help keep order. Though in many cases, people need to learn from experience and the only way to do that is to do what you feel is right and necessary.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:06 PM   #35 
bettafish15

I think it just depends on the tank size. Not possible in my case, but perhaps if one's tank was bigger it might help if you had say, 5 females in a 20g.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:15 PM   #36 
GreenTea

I have never seen a sorority in here with "distracting fish, and I have a 20 gallon stocked with 12 female bettas, two of whom are giants. There isn't any fighting because the tank is set up properly. Adding another species is adding another set of potential problems imo.

Different things work for different people I guess but I love my all betta sorority.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM   #37 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
I think it just depends on the tank size. Not possible in my case, but perhaps if one's tank was bigger it might help if you had say, 5 females in a 20g.
True. Though it is settled. Your going without them. They will be fine with an owner like you! You seem to care about their health and thats all that matters.

Can't wait for pictures of them!

-BL2033
Old 11-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #38 
GreenTea

One time I youtube I saw a like....60 or maybe larger gallon tank, long, not tall, with neon tetras and some giant female bettas. It was stunning and all aquascaped to perfection. I think in 10 and 20 gals it probably won't work but would do better in a larger setting where it's more like an ecosystem. I looked for the vid just now but can't find it :(
Old 11-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #39 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
I have never seen a sorority in here with "distracting fish, and I have a 20 gallon stocked with 12 female bettas, two of whom are giants. There isn't any fighting because the tank is set up properly. Adding another species is adding another set of potential problems imo.

Different things work for different people I guess but I love my all betta sorority.
I agree with you. I don't see where there would be a problem with that. A while back when I had about two or three sororities in my house I never had them with distracting fish and they lived fine but I was just saying as a tip for newer betta keepers. Or just to add to any tips because she said any tips are welcome. I apologize if I sound rude. That isn't my intention.

-BL2033
Old 11-21-2011, 07:22 PM   #40 
bettafish15

I am so excited for them! When they arrive I will take many pictures :D I'll take so many I'll have to start a new thread, LOL!