Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 07:06 PM   #1 
zepherina

how long should a new tank run?

i broke down and bought my new betta a little filtered tank thats bigger than his bowl and gave him plants and something to hide in, i REALLY want to put him in there and take him out of his bowl but i know youre suppose to let the tank run awhile, does anyone think its okay for me to put him in there or should i wait? its been running for like an hour now.
zepherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #2 
adamxaotmic

Usually if you just let it sit, it could take a couple of weeks.
What you want to do is wait till you see the Bacteria bloom. Your water will turn foggy and then clear up after a day or so.
That's a good indicator that your tank is cycled.

You can also use regular ammonia, 1 cocktail shrimp, or substrate and fake plants from an already established tank to jump start the cycle.

There are also certain chemicals you can use to cycle it as well.

I usually do a "fish in" cycle when I'm dealing with hardier fish that I know will make it. (Bettas being one of them.) Some people don't like this method cause it stresses the fish, but I've never lost a fish because of it.

Seachem makes a product called Stability which is supposed to be the best thing to use to jump start a cycle.

Seachem Stability sold on Amazon.

About Seachem Stability.
adamxaotmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #3 
zepherina

i have plants and things already in there with it running. i went ahead and put him in there >.<!!

at first the sat at the bottom then after a few secs after looking around he started swimming around and looking at things, hes still not to sure about the skull in his tank, i named him beetlejuice so i figured a skull would only do justice lol

but i think hes doing fine. he seems to respond to things really well, i woke up this morning and he made a huge bubble nest lol so we shall see.
zepherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

What size is the tank? If it's anything under 5g, you don't have to wait to put him in. There are even members on here with 10gs that are not cycled. I have never waited to add a fish to a few tank unless I was cycling it :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:19 PM   #5 
erinandares

I didn't wait with either of my tanks as they cycled... Maybe I'm the fish-devil, but all of my fish were there while the tank cycled and all of them lived through it just fine.
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #6 
Dead Sunlight

Generally without the aid of hardy fish or a way to speed up cycling, 4-6 weeks is best. Just leave everything running for that period of time, doing occasional water changes as though there are actual fish present.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Sunlight View Post
Generally without the aid of hardy fish or a way to speed up cycling, 4-6 weeks is best. Just leave everything running for that period of time, doing occasional water changes as though there are actual fish present.
Where does the ammonia come with this method? To start the cycle?
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote