Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 03:46 PM   #1 
freeflow246

What is this crud in my tank?

Once it became colder and I had to put heaters in my tanks, this stuff began appearing. Brushing the decor with a toothbrush at every water change seems to cut down on it, and it doesn't seem to affect the fish, but Lord is it nasty. I've made a few topics about this before, but now I have pics!
It almost looks like little pieces of toilet paper floating around. Some pieces get especially long and stringy.
Attached Images

freeflow246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

My roommates nasty fish tanks have that except the chunks are way bigger. My guess is that it is a protein of some sort. How big are your tanks and how often are you doing water changes?
I used to get that stuff too, but I don't have any in my filtered tank. Oddly, I don't have it in my 2 gallon that I used to get it in. Maybe it is the live plants that I have that absorb it?
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #3 
freeflow246

2.5 gal and 1 gal. I do one 50% change and one 100% change a week on the 2.5, and I do a water change every other day on the 1 gal because the fish there has almost knocked out some fin rot.
I also have a moss ball in the 2.5 gal, where it's worse.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:23 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

To clarify, my 2 gallon is ridiculously over-planted. I have 6 different species of plants, so they pretty much absorb everything. Once they really start growing there will be more plants than water. lol.

I am pretty sure it is just a protein that somehow is created. I am not sure why it happens, and I am pretty sure it doesn't hurt the fish. It just stinks to look at.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 05:29 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

I have no idea, but I get this in my filtered 1.5g tanks. They have 50% and 100% weekly changes too. Doesn't bother the fish so I don't mind.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:47 PM   #6 
freeflow246

I'll just try to scrub the decor really good whenever I change the water then. It doesn't worry me, it just makes the water look kinda gross at a glance. I've had a few people comment on it actually and I had to explain how it's not harmful, so far unavoidable, etc.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #7 
Sweeda88

I get that stuff a lot in my unfiltered tanks. It's probably part of the protein film along with dust. That's all I can figure.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:30 AM   #8 
Tikibirds

I got it in my 20 gallon. No idea what it is, no live plants in that tank and that gets water changes ever 2 or so days
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #9 
SnowySurface

It's algae. I get three types of algae at the moment because my lighting sucks and I don't have a timer. I get Hair Algae by my filter and Hard "green dot" algae on the wall of my tank right under my light. I just can't win. T_T

The floaty algae you see is brown algae. it only happens in tanks that aren't fully established. I saw it alot when I was cycling my tank towards the end of the ammonia peak to nitrITE step. Water changes clean it up. I also noticed a stlight decrease in my brown algae when I started floating IAL in my water. But I don't know if that's just a coincedence.

I would get a timer and better lighting, but I don't have the money yet. It isn't harmful to my fish so I just remove it about once a week. If the floaty pieces get really big on me, then I suck them out of the tank with a turkey baster. It figures that the moment you make a tank healthy for fish you make it healthy for every type of algae on the plant. XD

Here's the link for a quick overveiw. I'm still looking for a really good site about algae. If you look at my other post complaining about algae you may see different links from this one.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #10 
freeflow246

I would think that it's algae, but it didn't start appearing in Jalen's tank until a few weeks ago, and I've had him since July. It also doesn't seem to be rooted to things, it just floats around and settles.