Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 06:26 PM   #1 
undergunfire

Where do you put your multiple tanks? and Stands at eye-level?

I've been exploring options with my betta tanks. Right now I have a 37 gallon that is divided into 3 sections and it is behind the couch on a stand we build. I'm finding that I don't like this set up at all, especially since its behind the couch and the bettas are not really "in view".

My other 2 bettas are in a 1 gallon cookie jar (he's sick & not sure he will make it ), and the other in a 2 (maybe more?) gallon cookie jar (the kind from Walmart). They are up on the counter in the corner in the kitchen...I don't like the tanks there either because I don't spend time in my kitchen, so its not an ideal "viewing" area for them. I do however like the ease of cleaning since the sink is right there.

My plan is to either get two 10 gallon tanks and divide them, so each betta has 5 gallons. I also really like the 2+ gallon cookie jars and I think 4 of them would look really nice lined up together on some sort of stand. In order to do either of those options, though, I'd need to get a really long table type of stand, or two separate ones. I have the perfect spot too...in front of the two huge bay windows in my living room...lots of natural light (or I can close the blinds and no light comes in)...and its just a big empty space in my living room.

I guess my general question is...if you have multiple tanks, then where do you put them? Scattered all throughout your house or in one area/room?

In my old apartment my tanks were on the counter bar...so they were eye level. I REALLY loved this....and am wondering if anyone knows of any stands/furniture that would display my bettas at eye level? Regular stands are made so you have to be sitting or bend down...I don't like this .

Would something like this be safe enough for two 10 gallon tanks or four 2+ gallon cookie jars? They have it set up in my local store and its actually really sturdy (not cheapo wood) and it would make the tanks be eye level....
http://www.biglots.com/browseItem/bo...ia-storage/415

If not for glass tanks, then would that stand hold the large Petco Kritter Keepers?
undergunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Since I have around 20 or so tanks, I use long-span shelving, similar to what is used in warehouses. It holds a couple of hundred kilograms per shelf, and I can adjust the shelf to any height that I need.

The kind of shelving you linked to, would probably bow over time. A 10 gallon tank weighs around 40 kilograms or nearly 90 pounds. That is a lot of weight for a cheap shelf like that to hold long-term.

I would go to a hardware or even furniture store and see if you couldn't find some shelving like they use in garages. Each shelf is weight rated, and you have the peace of mind of knowing it won't collapse.

Maybe a cabinet maker might be able to knock up something attractive, but also sturdy enough to hold the weight of all that water.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #3 
vilmarisv

I agree, the shelving unit in your link is not suitable for heavy items.
I had one of these when I had multiple spawns going at a time: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Whitmor-Su...System/4433074
Holds 350lbs per shelf, not very eye pleasing but functional.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:49 PM   #4 
ManInBlack2010

do you have room in your living room or somewhere to put a desk in? I have 3 tanks, one on a low book shelf and 2 on a desk and i like the level they're at and it doesn't look that bad, i still have room to write or work on my laptop there too - i think 2 10g would look much better than 4 jars, and your fishies will probably enjoy that more too
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #5 
undergunfire

I definitely would like something "eye pleasing", since they will be displayed in my living room...so I don't think the metal shelving would work too well for that. I think my cat would use that as a jungle gym anyway, so it wouldn't be very safe.

I've done tons of thinking and just am not sure what to do! If we build something ourselves, then it probably won't look too nice (like the current stand behind the couch)...but I also don't have the funds for custom built furniture.

Anyone know of any nice long sturdy premade tank stands?
Old 11-21-2011, 08:27 AM   #6 
undergunfire

So I was thinking about it over night and I think I could just sew some sort of "slip covers" for those metal shelving units....like for the 2 shelf ones.

Still exploring options of an already made long & sturdy fish tank stand. Unfortunately none of those are at eye-level....but I guess I've got to choose one or the other (nice looking & not eye level...or big bulky metal shelves).
Old 11-21-2011, 08:32 AM   #7 
Littlebittyfish

I use cinder blocks and wood to make my fish stands. I stacked some 3 tall so that my tanks are right at eye level from my bed when I wake up in the morning.
http://virtuallyamy.wordpress.com/20...quarium-stand/

I made mine long so that it fits my 10 and 20 gallon long nicely.

Last edited by Littlebittyfish; 11-21-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:02 AM   #8 
Myates

All of my bettas are in 1-2 gallons for the most part, they are scattered in the living room and dining/kitchen area. Since they are smaller tanks, I use really tall, heavy book cases to put some on, as well as part of the counter of the bar, and my desk (open floor plan for the most part).
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM   #9 
LittleBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergunfire View Post
So I was thinking about it over night and I think I could just sew some sort of "slip covers" for those metal shelving units....like for the 2 shelf ones.

Still exploring options of an already made long & sturdy fish tank stand. Unfortunately none of those are at eye-level....but I guess I've got to choose one or the other (nice looking & not eye level...or big bulky metal shelves).
I wonder if you could somehow attach some wood to the front, sort of like what they do at fish stores so that you access the tank through a top flap/sliding door.

I always think I would do that for my next tank set-up. It looks a lot smoother, and allows you to hide your lighting and other equipment so as power packs and cords.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #10 
undergunfire

LittleBittyFishy....thanks soooo much for that link!!! I think we may do that. I like how everything can be painted and its obviously very sturdy. I'd just need a carpet underneath so the cinder blocks won't scrape up the tile flooring :).

LittleBettaFish....one idea I thought of was attaching bamboo stalks around the sides & front of the metal shelving. It would make it look more furniture-like. You can get quite a bit of long bamboo pieces (and painted at that) from World Market for $10 per bundle...and if you have the $10 off $30 coupons it would help a lot. I suppose it would be pricey, but it can be purchased as you can afford.

I'll go over options with my BF and see what he likes better :).