Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #1 
ArcticRain

Some questions about my new 5 gallon tank!

Well, yesterday I set up my new five gallon tank! I bought it as an upgrade for Mr. Plum who was in a 2.5 gallon. He seems to love all the space and his new hiding spot i got him! When ever i look at the tank he is hiding under the log! I plan to put in some more tall plants and switch the light bulb out for a flourescent one. Which brings me to my questions...

Right now the light bulb that is in the tank is a 15 watt incandescent. What watt flourescent light do i need to get for a 5 gallon?

When i got the tank i decided that i would leave it unfiltered.
How many water changes will i need to do in a unfiltered 5 gallon tank with one fish and fake plants?

Here is a picture!

Sorry the picture is big and sorry for the flash! Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited by ArcticRain; 11-20-2011 at 02:03 PM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #2 
Sweeda88

I bought a fluorescent bulb from the pet section at Walmart. I forget the wattage, but it's the right size for my 5 gallon (I have the exact same one as you do). As for water changes, 1 50% and 1 100% a week should be fine!
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #3 
ArcticRain

Hmm... I looked for a light when I bought the tank at walmart but they didn't have any. I remember looking at a different thread and I think someone said the light in the pet section was 9 watts?? Is this good?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

You'd be better off looking in the lighting dept at WalMart. I know I got a perfect tube like fluorescent light for about $6 there.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #5 
Sweeda88

That sounds about right. =)
Old 11-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #6 
ArcticRain

Ok, I am going to go today and get one. Are the fluorescent lights that are spirals good?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:12 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

The one I got was a tube, and has the spiral on the inside. Kinda like this photo, but you couldn't see the spirals.

Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #8 
ArcticRain

Pitluvs- Ohh! I saw one of those at walmart. I think it was like 9 watts. I will go pick it up later.

Sweeda88- Would you mind posting a picture of your tank? I would love to see it!
Old 11-20-2011, 04:40 PM   #9 
Sweeda88

This is it. =) That's Sequin in the tank. He's my big boy.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2011, 04:52 PM   #10 
Draug Isilme

One thing you might want to consider is the kelvins. You have fake plants, which is fine, but if you want to show off certain aspects of your tank, then the color spectrum does kinda matter.. It's not a huge deal, but if you end up getting a bulb that shows off too much blue, you might not like how cold it might end up feeling to you, or if it's a low kelvin bulb, it might give too much of a warm feeling, ya know? It just depends on what you're looking for, really >.> I just figured I'd bring that up...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote