Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #1 
Jodah

Question Day 4 and still not eating consistently

So, the 2.5g has been up and running for 4 days now, and Franky (male VT) is still not eating. I've gone through all the different kinds of foods in the last 2 days. Hakari pellets, betta flakes, bloodworms. The pellets he'll suck in, and then spit back out. He's eaten maybe 1 flake the entire time so far. the res he follows when they sink, and that's it. (I siphon them out afterwards of course)

Should I be worried? Never had a betta that didn't eat almost right away.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

As long as he is otherwise acting okay...I wouldn't worry too much at this point.....maybe he will eat for you today after the water change since it is day 4-unless you did it yesterday.....what is the water temp and do you have a filter or live plants....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #3 
Jodah

Yeah, put the filter back in today when I did the water change. Before I modded it, poor guy was just getting pushed around. So, I used some canvas (the plastic stuff from craft stores) and made a small screen for the inlet, and put a piece of sponge in there, I also put a piece of sponge on the outlet. Worked like a champ. Water temp is holding roughly at about 74*. I want to get it higher, but, the g/f doesn't have the cash to buy an adjustable heater. This was supposed to be her betta after all, yet I'm doing all the upkeep so far. lol. Although, she did pick up a new plant, and a skull-mountain cave thing. But the cave is waaaaay to big for the 2.5. it takes up nearly half the tank! So, I'll tell her to bring that back and get a smaller hideout for the little guy.

One other thing that worries me is his fin seems to be curling around itself. But if he squirts around as he sometimes does, it uncurls. I'm thinking this is due to the low temperature?
Old 11-19-2011, 05:43 PM   #4 
upngo

Mine didn't eat either the first days in a new tank. The only thing that worked was frozen red mosquito larvae. After that I had to change the mainsource of food from flake to attison betta pellets. My fish just doesnt eat flakes
upngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
Jodah

geeze, I don't even know if any of my local places carry that! Well, hopefully it won't come down to that. He did sorta munch a flake earlier. Yeah, A SINGLE flake. >_<
Old 11-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #6 
jman828

My newest guy took 20 days before he would touch ANY food!! As long as you don't feed him ANYTHING until he eats what you offer (it's hard trust me) he will eventually get hungry. Mine sure did after the 20 days! Now after he's eaten them for a while now he loves them.....I drop them in and they barely hit the water and they're gone!! Just don't give in! Good Luck :)
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:47 PM   #7 
Jodah

holy crap! 20 days? yeesh! So, what you're saying is that if I want him to be on pellets, don't drop anything in but the pellet's? man, that's gonna be rough.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:06 AM   #8 
Wolfboy51

sometimes bettas will spit out pellets if they are too big. try a smaller pellet. it may work. or he could probably be a fussy eater.
Wolfboy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:07 AM   #9 
Silverfang

I've never had a betta refuse frozen blood worms. Even injured or totally jet lagged, scared, ill, they all scarf frozen blood worms.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #10 
jman828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
holy crap! 20 days? yeesh! So, what you're saying is that if I want him to be on pellets, don't drop anything in but the pellet's? man, that's gonna be rough.
Pretty much, It's really hard to do just try..... Keep us posted
jman828 is offline   Reply With Quote