Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-17-2011, 12:53 AM   #1 
pattihi

white fluffy stuff on the rocks?

I'm just going through daily 100% water changes w/ES, Maracyn and Maracyn II added for my boy w/dropsy, and I see this white fluffy stuff that seems to be attached to some of the rocks. I saw it this morning for the first time floating around when I poured new water into the tank, and this evening it seems to have settled onto the sides of a rocky "dish" I have in the bottom of the tank.

What would this be, and what should I do about it? I don't recall seeing it before this week.
pattihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:26 AM   #2 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattihi View Post
I'm just going through daily 100% water changes w/ES, Maracyn and Maracyn II added for my boy w/dropsy, and I see this white fluffy stuff that seems to be attached to some of the rocks. I saw it this morning for the first time floating around when I poured new water into the tank, and this evening it seems to have settled onto the sides of a rocky "dish" I have in the bottom of the tank.

What would this be, and what should I do about it? I don't recall seeing it before this week.
You need to power wash the tank every day when you do the water changes, get the water as hot as you can stand and get your hand in there to physically wipe everything down. I put any and all decorations/rocks in a strainer I have set aside for this very thing and physically wash them. How certain are you he has dropsy? I thought dropsy was when they had swollen organs and there was no coming back from it?
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #3 
pattihi

I think he has dropsy because he'd gotten bloated and started getting the pine cone effect. I understand that's what dropsy is, according to some on this board. I know it's hard to come back from, but I'm trying because the diseases and emergencies section on this website says that dropsy can be cured and lists what to do. However, almost everyone says that their fish haven't survived, and death is a near certainty.

I wonder if the white stuff has anything to do with the fact that I took the filter out on Monday. One of the medications said to do this, but I have to put it back soon. I thought I'd buy a new one. I need to do that today.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 
Brian10962001

You only take the charcoal out of the filter. If you have the one piece Penguin/aqua tech style filters it's good to have one with the charcoal poured out of it.
Old 11-17-2011, 05:02 PM   #5 
pattihi

I have an Aqueon Mini Bow. Their filter has chunks of charcoal sewn into a rectangular package.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #6 
Brian10962001

cut a slit in one and pour out the charcoal, use that filter for now.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:35 PM   #7 
pattihi

When should I put the charcoal back in?

BTW, I did a thorough cleaning of the tank today, and this evening it looks sparkling. No sign of that white stuff.

I was wondering today, however, could that white stuff be excess slime? Will they make more slime when they're in distress? The only problem w/this idea is that I didn't seen any of the white stuff on Bernie's body.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:07 AM   #8 
Brian10962001

Most likely it's just a bacterial bloom from where the filter wasn't running. How's the Betta doing?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #9 
pattihi

Hi Brian. Thanks for asking.

Bernie's still alive. I'm not sure he's getting better though. He mostly floats in one place in the tank for long periods of time, and hasn't eaten anything in days as far as I know. I haven't put much food in the tank, but when I do, he doesn't seem to notice at all. When I've done the water changes, he moves around until I'm able to catch him. Sometimes he hangs around near the filter at the back corner, but lately he's been hanging out near the front of the tank. But he's still got that pine cone look. I keep looking for any sign that he's getting better, but haven't seen anything yet.

Yesterday was the 5th day of 100% water changes and antibiotics. After the water change on Thursday the water got really cloudy. This was after I'd done a thorough cleaning of the tank and everything in it. After I changed the water yesterday, the water became cloudy again. It's amazing how quickly that happens. I was a little concerned, but this morning the water looks a little less cloudy than last night, so I guess you're right about the bacterial bloom. However, I'm not seeing that fluffy, white clumpy stuff I saw before, so I feel better about that.

Now I'm just uncertain what to do next. I think I read somewhere that the process could be repeated once, but does that mean I should do the water changes and antibiotics for 5 more days? What do you think?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 PM   #10 
Brian10962001

I would continue the treatment. Are you using Stress Coat or a similar product in his water? Is he eating at all? Can you get pics of the cloudy water and of your fish? I'm surprised no one else has commented on here.