Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 11:58 AM   #1 
zepherina

tangled bottoms fins

hey guyyss, i bought a betta lastnight and named him beetlejuice. this morning i noticed his bottom fins looked like tangled at the bottom. hes a crown tail so they dont flare like his other fins. hes super alert and is really active, he dosent seem sick, was just wondering if there was anything i could do?
zepherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #2 
Rosso1011

Zepherina, I really do not have enough info to help you out. Check out some of the questions on the this link http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233. This should help you out with the process of what might be a problem.
A picture would also really help out.

Honestly though, he may just need time to adjust to the new setup. If you've just set up a tank and moved him from his cup, he might need a little adjustment period.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:27 PM   #3 
bettafish15

A picture might help. :) What kind of set-up is he in? I hear that a CT's fins will curl if they are in hard water.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #4 
zepherina

actually, i was watching him today while he was eating, i THINK their just curled not tangled. o_O, but they have been like that since i put him in his bowl, hes not in a tank hes just in a big glass bowl so he has plenty of room to swim around. ill get a picture of him up tho.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:06 PM   #5 
zepherina

his home.

this is beetlejuice. ;D

notice his bottom fins? are they curled or tangled?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #6 
Zappity

They're curled. I believe their fins can curl from high pH (correct me if I'm wrong). It's nothing to worry about.
Also, just a suggestion, but I would think about removing a bit of gravel so he has more room to swim around. A heater would be a good idea too :)
Otherwise, beautiful fish/ tank :)
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #7 
zepherina

okay, when it comes time to clean his bowl ill take out some rocks. i dont wanna stress him out to much.

also, our house dosent have tap water, it has well water, and its what my mom uses to fill the pond outside. so i was gonna use it to change his water when i clean his bowl, right now the water i have in it is the water my cousin uses for her betta's tank, its publix brand water like in the big jug, her dad used that to fill his fish tank, so what are water suggestions? lol
Old 11-21-2011, 05:44 PM   #8 
bettafish15

Well water is fine for bettas, just let him acclimate to any new water by adding some slowly :)
If your well has alot of heavy metals though, I would get a water conditoner to take it out. It could be that you have very hard water since you're on a well, and that is why his fins are curling. Theres nothing you can do about it really, so don't worry about it :)
I agree with Zappity, a heater would be a good idea because bettas, being tropical fish, need a temperature of 77-82F :) You can get special bowl heaters. Getting a cheap tank thermometer would help you moniter the temp, too :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 PM   #9 
zepherina

okay, thank you guys for all the help!
Old 11-21-2011, 05:52 PM   #10 
nel3

what water specs cause curled fins? my VT has some curled rays and atm i plan to get a CT when one of my ranks opens up. a spot has yet to open which is good but research for future fish doesnt hurt.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote