Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 08:38 PM   #1 
miish

Advice on supplies?

So I'm stocking up on supplies to take better care of my betta! Just looking for advice on some things :)

First off, I bought "HBH Betta Bites" - They seemed like a good choice and all, but my fish doesn't seem to want to eat them. Is it just because its new and different? He had "Nutrafin max" before - they were flakes and he didn't seem to like them very much. With the pellets he took one and it seemed to be too big or something? He carried it around in his mouth then spat it out. Is there something I can do? Or is he just picky?

Next up I bought "Seachem Betta Basics" as water conditioner - good choice or no? I had "Nutrafin betta plus" before but I ran out :P

Also I want to buy aquarium salt for his fins because they're a bit curled and clamped still from before I knew I needed a heater (which he has now! :D) I was looking at the petco site and found this this API aquarium salt - it fits my student budget haha. Wondering if its worth the buy?

Thanks in advance!
miish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:00 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

You don't need salt for clamped fins. He will get back to his old self after he settles.
There's no real fix for curled fins, your water does that and it's better not to mess with that.
IMO, any water conditioner is good. There are some that are prefered by aquarists, like Prime, but anything that does the job will be good.
For food found at LPS I like New Life Spectrum brand. It has good protein content but you have to feed one at a time because it sinks pretty quickly.
I only feed Attison's Betta Pro, IMO it's the best pellet but it's not found in stores... I get it from the IBC website.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #3 
miish

OldFishLady suggested I use salt to try and help his fins :P figured I'd give it a try!
As for those foods you mentioned, the pet store I go to has limited selection, I don't think any of those were there. Just Betta bits, nutrafin and one other brand I forget the name of haha.
miish is offline   Reply With Quote