Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2011, 11:25 PM   #1 
MaggieLynn

Unhappy Gloria isnt looking to hot

So on friday I noticed that one of my females isnt acting like herself, she is breathing hard and just sits at the bottom of the tank, she looks bloated but not like the other females do after meals, where its just their tummys are bloated, her whole body does almost as if she is going to pinecone soon, She is usually the most active of the bunch. A week ago she got into a fight with another female (she is always the trouble maker) so I wasnt too worried, both have some torn fins but they were doing good. Currently she is laying at an angle in a cave, its late so Im not able to QT her right now but plan to first thing before I leave for school.

Here is the sticky as well:

Housing
What size is your tank? Ten gallons
What temperature is your tank? 77* about
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? 5 other females

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NLS Pellets, Lately blood worms (just got a dwarf puffer which eats frozen blood worms so all the bettas have been seeing alot more of the blood worms) And freeze dried BW every couple weeks
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice alil pellets morning and night the weekend though one blood worm in morning and a few pellets at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 80%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:
^all are good

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? She looks bloated and like she might pine cone
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not active, lays around, is slow, still is interested in food and eats though.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Friday night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? No Plan on QT tomorrow with some salt (not sure which kind, Have 2 pounds of each type, so all set)
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, shortly after starting my sorority in june, they all got ick, QT'd them all, treated with AQ salt for acouple days then treated them with Nox-ich, similar to Quick care. pre-mixed the meds with stress coat in a one gallon jug, QT is 3/4 gallon, took two weeks or so to heal (I know that is alot I just thought past medical history may be useful)
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not sure, Have had her since June, but she is on the larger side so she could be older, I got her from one of the petcos in town.

I really would appreciate any and all help, she is my favorite girl. I know I shouldnt pick favorites but she has captured more of my heart than the others, she is such a rebel always challenging the alpha and starting trouble. She has so much spunk and personality I would really hate to lose her.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:41 PM   #2 
GreenTea

For bloating issues use epsom salt, not aquarium salt. How much do you feed her? Bloodworms are notorious for bloating fish, she could be especially intolerant to them or just have had too many.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #3 
MaggieLynn

I use a tooth pick and hand feed each one, she got one friday, and one saturday, frozen, I know I mentioned both above. Today they only got pellets tonight. She was acting like this before I fed them friday which is odd. I didnt feed them untill maybe 11 which is normal and I first noticed around 2, which is when I got back from my lfs. I just put her in a plastic cup with epsom, stress coat and tank water. I added about 1/4 tsp, I dont have a gallon jug right now to pre-mix
Old 11-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #4 
Sena Hansler

I'm unsure if you meant you did not dissolve the salt first... but... You absolutely need to dissolve the salt. Undissolved salt can cause horrible problems... even death. Use a glass (epsom won't kill anyone.. just clean it afterwards), use tank water, add salt, stir it and let it dissolve. Then add the water, not pouring in just one spot. This'll help :)
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:29 PM   #5 
MaggieLynn

I made sure to dissolve it, What I do is take my gallon jug and add an inch of hot water add how ever many tsp per gallon shake it all up then finish adding water when its dissolved. I just changed her water sticking to stress coat and epsom, she also has a grey color to the bottom of her gills and stomach and is pale, could it be dropsy?
Old 11-21-2011, 06:33 PM   #6 
GreenTea

hm, gray tummies and scales can mean baterial - id ask ofl or darkmoon for exepertise and photos would help a lot
Old 11-21-2011, 06:43 PM   #7 
MaggieLynn

she has a gray belly, she isnt bloated as in ate too much her whole body seems puffy and last night it seemed one eye was bigger than the other, she is being very lazy and is breathing heavy, is there a chance that the other girls in the home tank could get what every Gloria has.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #8 
GreenTea

I really don't know...it's always possible. If youre worried clean the tank and refill it with conditioner and clean of your decor. Sorry I'm not more helpful, I'm not good at pin pointing diseases. It sounds like it could be dropsy, are her scales raised? It sounds like pop-eye as well.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #9 
MaggieLynn

When I got a closer look her eyes looked even I think it was the angle I was at. All I know is something is not good with her, he scales arent riased alot like pine coning, but they dont look right like they may start to raise
Old 11-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #10 
GreenTea

It sounds like a bacterial infection to me - check the stickies for bacterial disease descriptions and treatment and PM ofl and darkmoon are my recommendations. Good luck!