Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #11 
MaggieLynn

I sent a message to ofl and I know that dropsy is itself a symptom of a bacterial infection, Im going to petsmart shortly to look at meds, and tomorrow going to my lfs because they are the only place that I have seen that sell anti parasite pellets from jungle. I just want to get prices in the event I need them.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #12 
Sakura8

Hi Maggie. I'm so sorry to hear about Gloria. This fight that she was in, did it look like she may have sustained some damage to her body as well? Not just nips but headbutts and ramming? Sometimes organs can be damaged in fights and cause the same bloating and organ shutdown seen in bacterial infections. That may not be the case here but I just thought I'd ask.

Since she's so severely bloated, I would bump her up immediately to 3 tsps of epsom salt per gallon. You can try to treat her with just this for a few days and see if it helps or, if you want, you can go for the aggressive treatment and add Maracyn II to the epsom salt mix. A pro for treating her with just the epsom salt is you're not bombarding her system with strong medications. But a con is that if she has a serious infection, then we'll have waited to give her medication that she might need.

As always, if she starts to struggle to reach the surface, lower the water level for her. Keep her warm and in a quiet, dim place so she can rest. I really hope she pulls through, the poor baby.

I don't think it's anything your girls can catch, as it sounds like this may have something to do with the fight she was in. But definitely keep an eye on everyone and isolate anyone showing similar symptoms. Treatments for any girl with similar symptoms would be the same as for Gloria.

I really hope your girl pulls through. I'll be saying fishy prayers for a full recovery. Good luck and keep us posted, Maggie.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #13 
MaggieLynn

Thanks Sakura! I only bought the meds because I was there and it was in my budget otherwise I was going to wait until after friday because that is payday, I was thinking of uping her to 2 tsp/gal. Im not sure if there was any head butting everyone else is fine. I was also thinking if there was anyway she could have contracting something because of the damaged fins.

Also thank you everyone for your input I really appreciate it!
Old 11-21-2011, 10:48 PM   #14 
Sakura8

You're welcome, I'm always glad to help. I hope Gloria makes it. I'm rooting for her.

It's definitely possible she could have gotten something through damaged fins but for the infection to go internal like that, I would expect her fins to have rotted all the way to her body. I'm wondering if she got a nip somewhere on her body, just a tiny one.

Oh, and yes, definitely get the anti-parasite pellets for her if she's eating. That's a very effective way of treating internal infections. And if you do Maracyn II, also continue with the 3 tsps of epsom salt as well.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #15 
MaggieLynn

Thanks! She is eating too, last night before I decided to QT her when I sat down to feed them (the tank is on a stand, freds 5 gal on top the girls on bottom about 3 inches off the floor) she swam up and ate. I can only get them at one store in town and the are only open from 12-7 but I know them well, and I have no afternoon class which I remembered tonight lol so I will be able to actually make it there.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:07 PM   #16 
MaggieLynn

If I had to use the meds what would the dose be? it says one packet to 10 gallons
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 PM   #17 
Sakura8

What size is the tank? If possible, try to use only 1 gallon. It makes dosing easier using the following directions:

Get a big 1 gallon jug and fill it with dechlorinated water. Add in the dosage and mix well. For the first dose, it's two packets. Add in 1/2 cup of the medicated water per gallon of your tank. So if you are using a 1 gallon tank or only 1 gallon of water, add in 1/2 cup of medicated water. Dump the rest of the medicated water out.

Refill with dechlorinated water and add in 1 packet for the next day. Keep this. When you go to do your daily water change, all you have to do is empty the tank, refill it with 1 gallon, and add in 1/2 cup of the medicated water. Save the water for the next water change. After that, dump it out and mix up another batch.

Maracyn II is for five days so you should be using a total of 4 packets of meds to treat Gloria.

I hope I made that clear enough. o.O It looks confusing even to me.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

Awww the poor thing! I do wish you luck with her. When Madame got dropsy and I wasn't able to get maracyn in time, I wasn't quite sure what she got it from. So my advice to you is if you are worried about it being in the tank, you can always do a large water change with some hot water rinsing of ornaments and/or plastic plants as a precaution. But ONLY if you feel you need to :) Good luck!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #19 
MaggieLynn

Sakura: I have alot of one gallon tanks so I will switch her to one of those. and that is clear, unfortunately I work up this morning to find that my dog got into my maracyn 2 and some how got the box out of the bag i had wrapped around it, and the bag is in one piece, and then rip the top off the box almost straight across and chew on all the packets of meds >.< I was not happy one bit, but apparently it would only make her sleepy, give her the runs or make her puke said the person I called. So Now I get to go buy another box and parasite pellets, but atleast my mom said she would pay because I cant afford to buy anything else until friday (payday)

Sena: All the other girls are fine so Im not that worried. Do you have any stores near you that sell it? I went around to all my lps and lfs and only petsmart has the meds, im surprised alil that petco doesnt have anything which stinks because I have to run to the other side of town, i guess its not a big deal though because I work right by petsmart
Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #20 
MaggieLynn

Oh I also forgot to add, Gloria's body is in a sort of "s" shape like her back is bent =/