Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 PM   #1 
95neon1025

male and female?

ok here is the thing my roomate bought a female betta and it didnt get along with the fish in his tank so would there be a problem with putting her in with my male betta? he is in a 10 gallon and it is just him no one else. would that be an issue?
95neon1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #2 
Punki

Males and females cant be housed together, hed kill her most likely. =/
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

You could divide your 10 gallon and house them that way, but if they can get near each other, even if they get along long enough to breed, he will kill her in the end. They just can't live together. Very aggressive fish!
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #4 
Greenfish

it has been done, but these have been rare cases. You could never attempt it in a 10 gallon though
Greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #5 
SmokeNLark

Yeah, don't do that. You could divide it though. Housing males and females or males and males together is a very bad idea. I can be done with a VERY experienced fish keeper and a large tank. I would never try it.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:03 PM   #6 
ddevinatea

I have bought a female and male Bettas with other fish in a 10 gallon tank. The male keeps chasing her and bitting... I have had to separate him in a small breeding case in order to stop the fight... is there a way tho two can get along?... When i bought them there were a big group of males and females in the tank of the seller and all of them looked like living in peace.

Please advice,

Thanks,

David
ddevinatea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #7 
bettafish15

No, there is NO WAY they can get along. PLEASE buy a divider and just divide the tank. What other fish are in there? I have no idea what the seller was doing, but it does not work for an inexperienced owner with a ten gallon, I'm afraid.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:00 PM   #8 
ddevinatea

Hi, thanks for the quick response.

What if I change the female for another male? I have two goldfish, and other 10 fish but I know the name in spanish not english :(.

Please advice,

Thanks,

David
Old 11-21-2011, 01:11 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

Males and females, and males and males, should never be kept together unless divided securely, with the divider high enough (3 or more inches) to avoid jumping over and ending up together!

There are even very few community fish that are okay with bettas for a few reasons... some male bettas (and even females!) are very vicious. Other fish find the flowy fins fun to chase and nip. Other fish are aggressive. Or other fish stress the betta which can cause a sickness...

chances are the group of male and female were in a bigger tank right? Planted or something? They were all siblings, more than likely. In larger groups that are already in order of who is alpha, can live peacefully. the alpha (your male) is attacking the only other betta there... your female.

Goldfish are cold water fish and should never be put with bettas, as bettas are tropical - warm temperature. Please don't put them together :) I suggest you separate the male and female... very very few people on here have even had their male and females get along - and they are the very experienced people. If it were possible, I'd love having a male in my sorority... But I won't.

Betta Splendens are called Siamese Fighting Fish for a reason... Males kill each other, and females can get very very hurt from the males and sometimes each other. Even breeding, the females can get killed.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 03:31 PM   #10 
ddevinatea

Thanks a lot, I just bought a smaller tank to put the male alone.

Regards,

David