Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #1 
mardi

Slowing Filter Current

Sorry if this has been discussed before; but i recently purchased a 5.5 Gallon Top Fin tank for my Bowie. I was really excited about having a filter, but the current it produces seems to be a bit too strong for him. What does everyone here use to slow current? The filter I have has like a little waterfall that flows into the actual water line of my tank. Bowie has already been by the uptake tube and didn't seem to have any problems keeping stable there.

Any suggestions of what works for you would be most appreciated.
mardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #2 
Fasht

if making a baffle would be applicable for you you might want to check this thread out
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #3 
kfryman

I cut a water bottle and taped it to the filter where water doesn't touch the tape. Just experiment with different ways to cut it.
Hopes this helps!
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #4 
Marvelous

I have the same tank and used the water bottle method. I just cut off the top and bottom and stuck it on the part where the water comes out. The curl of the bottle creates a natural latch at the top. Also I covered the intake with pantyhose since my crowntail was getting dangerously close. I did buy a fluval filter sponge to try over the intake, but I think the filter is try to give out...again (I already replaced it once)
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:44 PM   #5 
Draug Isilme

I got a 5g and the filter that came with my kit said it was for 5-10g. Even with the water bottle baffle, it still pushed my betta around in certain places and the intake was so much it actually made my filter leak -.-; I ended up taking a sponge and detached the very bottom part of the intake tube that's grated and stuck a piece in. It slowed the current and kept the filter from trying to take my fish with it >.>... It's slowed my filter down a great deal and it doesn't leak at all ^.^ I still have the water bottle baffler since I figured my betta would appreciate the extra stillness. They both make a beautiful combo, to say the least! But yeah, if your filter's still too strong like mine was, maybe you could try that? Just make sure it's long and fits in the tube well enough to where the sponge won't be sucked further down the tube intake. Of course, you want to also make sure it isn't too thick otherwise it will stop the filter or put too much strain on the motor.. Also, make sure to rinse it out occasionally so the sponge won't get gunked up. It takes a bit of time to figure out the right size and such, but I find it's very well worth it.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote