Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #1 
boalt

FREAKING OUT! Please help me.

This is my first time posting here, so I apologize if my format is wrong. I recently purchased (two weeks ago) a betta fish (my first pet) and I think his fin maybe ripped or rotten. The short story is that I purchased a half gallon tank with plastic plants, but after reading the internet I took it back and got a one gallon tank with silk plants. Well the one gallon tank had a filter, that sucked Chester (that's his name) in. I naturally freaked out, unplugged the filter and he appeared to be swimming fine. Yesterday, I purchased a two gallon tank so now that's his new home. He appears to like it (e.g., he's been swimming around and around the tank (it's a circle shape)). I'm not sure if his fin is torn, and if so if it was like that when I brought him or if the plastic plants did it (it wasn't the filter because in old pics he looks the same).

I don't much about fish, so I really need someone's help. I'm scared he might be in pain and I feel really bad for him. I purchased Bettafix and the aquarium salt, but I haven't used any yet. Please please help me. I've really grown fond of this fish, so I'd like him to live a long and happy life.

I've attached some pictures. Thank you for whatever advice you can give.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallon.
What temperature is your tank? 78.6
Does your tank have a filter? Yes (but it is not on)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, he's an only fish.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food pellets, Freeze dried worms (as a treat)

How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, 3 to 4 pellets each (for a total of 6 to 8 pellets)

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? About a half.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner, and I let it sit for 24.
Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
no
Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Not that I notice.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Still eats, flares and swims in circles alot (yesterday, he was just upgraded to a new tank).
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last night, at 11p.m.
Have you started treating your fish?No.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No idea
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased two weeks ago
Attached Images

boalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

From the pics I see nothing wrong with him.
The last picture shows him with fins a little droopy'? But it can just be the change form one tank to another... I recomend you invest in a heater.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #3 
Behati

Don't use bettafix, it contains tree oil which hurts their labyrinth (breathing) organ. He looks pretty healthy to me aside from the dorsal fin and a little bit of the anal fin. I think just clean water will be good for him. Black edges/darkening edges means his fins are rotting but it might be because of the way he was from when he was at the pet store. The fins will get better on it's own but Aquarium Salt can help him heal even faster although long term use of it can harm his liver.

Congrats on your first betta!
Behati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM   #4 
MaggieLynn

^ +1 One thing maybe you shouldl gut that would help is to buy stress coat, it can help heal his fins and it will condition the water, If you want to be prepared for any other issues I would suggest getting some epsom salt as well, I personally just like keeping these things on hand (aquarium salt, epsom salt and stress coat) most issues can be healed with both salts, epsom salt is fairly inexpensive, I got mine at walgreens in the pharmacy area, just get un-scented epsom salt the walgreens brand is blue for the regular. It looks like he is doing good. If is appearence changes or his behavior that would be a tip off that something is wrong. I know this is info overload but right now Im dealing with a sick fish and for a new owner I just want you to know what might be good to have on hand, its good you upgraded his tank, just keep it clean and he will be a happy healthy boy and welcome to the forum!! just be careful you might get bite by the betta bug ;)
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #5 
boalt

Thank you thank you thank you. I really appreciate all of your responses. I'm going to take the Betta Fix back, get stress coat, espsom salt and a heater. I feel better all ready.

And, yes I've already been bitten by the Betta bug. As soon as I get use to Chester, I'm defintely going to consider getting another Betta (in another tank of course). Again, thanks.
boalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #6 
earthworm88

Hello,

Welcome to the forum! We have all been in the same situation at one point and it doesn't hurt to be more careful

Overall, your Chester looks great to me and I honestly don't see anything wrong with his fins at all. I think 78.6F temp is reasonable as long as it is constant. From the first photo, it looks like the belly is a little rounded. I am not sure what size your pellets are, perhaps watch to make sure he is regular or cut back on the number of pellets you feed him?

Also, for a 2gal tank, you need to change the water 50% mid week and 100% end of the week to maintain the best quality clean water for your Chester.

JM2C

Cheers!

Last edited by earthworm88; 11-22-2011 at 06:25 AM.
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #7 
Myates

Welcome! Handsome Veiltail you have (I'm partial to blue on blacks, my fave guy looks like that :) )

You have some good advice given so far :) But will throw in my 2 cents real fast-

If you are talking about the dorsal (top) fin, that is quite normal to look like that, and the little curl on top is from hard/dirty water that he was in before you got him. Nothing will change that.. he doesn't appear to have torn fin anywhere else, the tail and bottom fins are separated naturally.

You don't need AQ salt with torn fins, as that can actually hamper fin growth. It's used as a treatment, so it's good to have around, and pretty cheap. Along with Epsom Salt- use only when needed.

A heater would be great, look for a 25 watt and lower adjustable one, as the presets can sometimes cause problems of either not heating enough, or too much.

As for food, pellets are great, but would cut down on them, 2-3 per meal, twice a day is recommended. Their stomachs are approx the size of their eyes, so you don't want to fill it too much in one sitting, otherwise you risk bloating and causing a problem with their swim bladder.

If your tank is filtered, 2 50% weekly water changes are enough- 1 water only, 1 substrate cleaning (siphon or stir and dip). If it's unfiltered, as mentioned above, 1 50% and 1 100% per week.

I know I repeated some what others had said, but I just like helping out new owners :D Love Chester, and congrats on your new friend!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote