Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #1 
callistra

Dropsy?

I am in panic mode. One of my bettas died on Saturday as a result of an unknown disease or diseases process. Today, I noticed that my second betta appears to have signs of dropsy.

This is my first betta's thread: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=84017

Jayhawk (the recently deceased) never showed signs of dropsy, but he obviously had a bacterial infection. Could the same bacteria manifest as different symptoms in the different fish?

What do you think of this site for treatment: http://www.bettafishcenter.com/Dropsy.shtml

I am in absolute panic and cannot stand to lose another fish. PLEASE help.

He is in a 10 gallon with a biosponge filter. Can I treat with tetra cyline in this tank or will nee heed to be removed? Will the tank need to be completely broken down and sterilized?

I should add he ACTS perfectly fine and is quite hungry but then again so did Jayhawk right up until 24 hours before his death..

http://angelicvoices.net/IMG_0246.JPG
http://angelicvoices.net/IMG_0242.JPG

Last edited by callistra; 11-22-2011 at 12:06 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #2 
callistra

Jayhawk was so hyper I had suspected a parasite infection.. he was also flashing and showing on and off signs of ich.. I was adding aquarium salt and stress coat to his RO water changes as treatment and noticed that the white dots would grow and then fall off which I thought meant he was getting better.. but obviously not.. So I don't know if I should treat with tetracycle or Aquarisol or both or what but I need to know what to do soon..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Sorry you are having so much trouble with your Bettas.....sadly once the sign of dropsy shows up.....often it can mean they are in system shut down and not a lot can be done, that said...we also don't want to give up on them too soon either.....

I would get him in a small QT container that can be floated in a heated tank to maintain 76-78F temp-cover with plastic veggie wrap to retain heat and humidity for the labyrinth organ and start Epsom salt (Not aquarium salt) tannins along with water changes for 10-14 days

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source-either IAL or Oak leaf-let this steep for 30min and use this premixed treatment water for 50% water change every 15min for 1hour today-Then tomorrow start 100% daily water changes using this treatment water while keeping him in the small QT container...he needs to stay in this treatment water....you can attach the small QT to the side of the tank so it doesn't sink or get knocked around by the filter as it is floating in the tank....be sure the treatment water is also pretty close in temp when you make the water changes too.....

Good luck.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote