Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 02:31 AM   #1 
Evangelyna

Unhappy Betta jumped ship worried please help

I've had my blue betta, Barnabas, for about 3 months. I got him from a friend and tonight he jumped out of his tank. I found him and put him back in his water where he started to "breathe" again and then I moved him to a smaller container for his recovery. His back fins were very dry but he's regained almost full movement. He swims around every so often but mostly just sits at the bottom or floats at the top. He's my first betta and so far has never had any issues. I really don't want him to die but I don't know what more I can do for him. =(
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know bettas can survive after being out of water but I want to do everything I can to make sure he does. He's very special to me.

E.
Evangelyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:09 AM   #2 
earthworm88

Sorry to hear your betta decided to do a jump stunt. Mine did the same thing the day I bought him.

How long was your betta out of the water? How big is his current housing now? What have you put in the tank water now?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:28 AM   #3 
Evangelyna

I don't know how long he was out. I was out of the room for about an hour but he wasn't completely dry when I found him. It took him a minute to start using his gills when I put him back in the water. It's not very big, it's just the container I use when I clean his tank. I didn't want to leave him in his tank since there are so many plants and things and the surface seemed really high up in his condition. The only thing I have for his water is "Nutrafin betta plus tap water conditioner for bettas" He's been pretty lethargic but he keeps swimming to the surface for air which I'm hoping is a good sign. =\
Evangelyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #4 
earthworm88

I have heard of stories where the fish was out of the water longer than an hour and survived. So as long as you keep the water clean, and he is eating normally, he should be ok. Just make sure the container is wide enough and keep the level low enough so he doesn't have to struggle to the surface to breath.

Good luck with him!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dying betta, help me!, jumped to floor, survival