Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #1 
Dead Sunlight

Question Have any of you ever had a sucessful spawn using only frozen bloodworms fr conditiong

There's this one girl I know and she is attempting her first spawn today, so I went over to her house earlier, and she has a fine breeding setup:

10 gal.
adjustable heater
IAL
sponge filter
java moss
(bare bottom)
5-inch water lvl
tight-fitting hood, lights

Anyways, she has these 2 opaque HM's, very nice looking breeders. I asked what she was conditioning them on and she said frozen bw. and i was like, and? she said that that was all she had, and she said that it'll be fine and the female will swell with eggs. I told her that she should've added a bit more variety, live and frozen. so the girl replies that her parents wont let her buy anymore food or something. Anyways, she plans to feed the breeders 5 times a day, about 2 worms per feeding for 2 weeks. She wont be feeding them anything else but the occasional freeze-dried bw (if she can find them).

In my experiences i have never fed my breeders just 1 type of food for conditioning. Will this be enough and okay? Also my females swell with eggs only when given live foods. And the girl says that her parents most definitly WILL NOT let her have any form of live "beasties" in the house. I'm at a loss here- If you've had sucess, plz do tell.

Thanks,

-DS (super melano HMPK w/ lacy black fins. bred by moi)
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:39 PM   #2 
Dead Sunlight

Her feeding schedule- (she's not fasting her pair for the entire period, also she's letting the 2 look at each other for the whole 2 weeks as well. I'm also concerned that the male hasn't started a bubblenest)

8:00 am - turn lights on, 2 worms
10:00- 2 worms
1:000 2 worms
4:00- 2 worms
7:00 turns lights off, 2 worms.

please someone help
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #3 
Gloria

Does she have any pellets she can alternate with? When I conditiioned my pair they only got Frozen Bloodworms and pellets.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #4 
Dead Sunlight

yeah, so aparently its frozen and freezedried bws and pellets. did your female swell with eggs?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I used to give mine a variety of live foods. But lately, for some reason, live foods bring in parasites and will almost always cause problems to ALL of my collection. Now, for the past 2 yrs or so, I'm feeding them mainly on frozen bw - with an occasional ML and daphnia (specially for the rather lethargic ones or those that lost their appetite.

I feed twice a day till they're a bit plump, sometimes all they would eat. ALL of my bettas are FAT (thick). When people condition, they usually fatten up their females. I do the opposite; I put them on a diet and slim them down a bit - unless the male is a lot bigger than the females.

YES, you could condition with only one type of food, though variety is better. But I'm not sure if 2 BW per feeding is adequate. Mine can eat 20-30 BW per feeding, so that's 40-60 per day. The larger ones could eat more. The ones being conditioned are fed about 10 per feeding or about 20 per day.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:47 PM   #6 
Gloria

yeah my female swelled with eggs. Badly.. I also fed them every 1 - 2 hours for the second week of conditioning
Old 11-22-2011, 10:30 PM   #7 
Dead Sunlight

O______O Okay, that's what I thought too. WHen she said she was only feeding them 2 per feeding i was like O: dude. I feed as much as they will take. okay well thanks for confirming.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 PM   #8 
Gloria

Yeah I made this mistake once too.. But the truth is is that you are feeding them extra now to give them the energy they will need later. The dad especially, he will do so much work swimming up and down and chasing fry, building the nest. Just tell he she needs to offer food more frequently and make sure its a good amount per feeding.
I with your friend luck :)