Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 
OrvillesSlave

Fleshy Bump Under Jaw

I'm beyond frustrated and worried. My one and year old old VT male has a pinkish, fleshy bump under his jaw. He got it a few months ago and I treated him with maracin one believing it was some sort of internal bacteria infection. The bump shrunk over night and within a week completely gone. It has not come back since...until today. I noticed when I fed my guy that the bump had returned but at the moment still small. I'm assuming I am going to need some more substantial medication to get rid of it.

Suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll do my best to take a picture of it although it might be difficult. Also, because of this I did decide to take him home with me for Thanksgiving break. I was afraid of what I might find if I left him for a week in this condition.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day, three pellets in the morning and three towards the evening. I fast him once a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% mid week, 100% end of the week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I add a conditioner and stress coat to the water once a week

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Not yet.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Besides for his bump, his color hasn't changed. Not bloated or any other physical disturbance
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Nope, still his piggy, active self
When did you start noticing the symptoms? It was about two month ago that the bump originally appeared. A week after treatment it was gone but has returned today.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not, as yet. Not sure which medication would be best.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes, he was treated for velvet around the same time of his bump appearance.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 and a half
OrvillesSlave is offline   Reply With Quote