Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #1 
ScurvyGoat

Talking Wee Little Fish!

PetCo has started selling baby Bettas!!! I couldn't help myself and picked one and a tank for them up. Their color is amazing and in person is kind of a purpleish on the body turning to blue with red fins! I can't wait to see how they turn out!!! Any thoughts on gender? I know the pic isn't best. It was hard to take. The gravel is normal sized, maybe a little large, to give an idea of size. I get a goofy grin every time I see their tiny form zip by exploring their new home!

ScurvyGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:41 AM   #2 
ScurvyGoat

Note: Hikari Bio-Gold pellets are too large for the babies. They need to be crushed.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

Hello and Welcome to the forum!
Well she is a really pretty Veil Tail! And she is a female. I love her innocent pudgy face! She is also a Blue and red wash bi-color.

So her full category would be Blue/Red wash Bi-color Female VT (Veil Tail)
I agree with you on the pellets, but they shouldn't be in a fine powder.
-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:55 AM   #4 
ScurvyGoat

I just popped the pellets with something hard so they were in several smaller pieces and she gobbled them up. Just wondering, at this size what should I be looking for to ID a male? All of the babies, about 20, looked like her only in different colors and slightly different sizes. I checked fins and couldn't see any differences. I love females so it doesn't bother me one bit hehe! I'm just curious for future reference. I'm assuming they were there only a few days tops because the manager hadn't seen them yet.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Well what you would need to look for to tell a male from a female is that the females have what is called an *egg Spot* you need to know that male bettas DO NOT HAVE EGG SPOTS. Egg spots are basically a white dot that is found under the females belly.

This is a picture of an egg spot:

That is the ONLY way to be absolutely positive that it is a female.

Males fins are usually long and fluent. Though females CAN have the same thing (usually unlikely) Though Plakat males and Halfmoon PLakat males have short fins like the females. That is why you must search for the females egg spot.

-BL2033
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #6 
ScurvyGoat

I never knew that!!! I knew of the dark spot on guppies, but not the white spot on Bettas! At roughly what age does that show, do you know? I've only ever had older Bettas and never such a teeny tiny one before ^^ She keeps hiding in the plant and popping out when I lean down to look for her. I'll see about posting my other Bettas. I'm on my phone so it's tough lol
Old 11-26-2011, 01:29 AM   #7 
bettalover2033

Okay I see. Bettas start to show the female egg spots at about 3 1/2- 4 months old.

-BL2033
Old 11-26-2011, 01:40 AM   #8 
ScurvyGoat

I have to ask hehehe! Is the Betta in your avatar from Aquabid? He looks like the kind my favorite seller on there produces. Banleangbettas or something close to that...
Old 11-26-2011, 01:45 AM   #9 
ScurvyGoat

Okay! Here is my GORGEOUS boy Tardis. I love him to pieces, and he is my crown jewel of my bettas hehe! If I ever bred, it would be him as the papa and I'd have to find a pretty gal off aqua bid or something. I've had him about a year now. Jus plain fun to look at!

Old 11-26-2011, 01:49 AM   #10 
ScurvyGoat

This is little Patcha. I haven't had her very long but she is very sweet. I love her colors- I haven't really seen another female CT like her.