Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 11:21 AM   #1 
Gen2387

Flaring too much?

I did a water change today and I added a background that I taped outstide of the tank. The water change went perfectly fine as always but now I've put Admiral back in the tank and he's done nothing but flare at the background for the past hour... The background is pretty simple, it's underwater plants and rocks... nothing too flashy or colourful. Why is he doing that and is it dangerous if he flares for too long? Should I take the background off?
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 AM   #2 
herpderp234

Lol on one of my tanks I put a background of someone jet sking and my betta spent hours looking at it but then moved on to something more interesting, so your betta may just lose interest after a while
herpderp234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #3 
Kytkattin

He might be able to see his reflection now. If you can, put some plants against the back so he doesn't always have to look at himself. He should adjust. IMO, it is just like a divided tank, he will just need some time to get used to it.

As fair warning, over flaring can cause tears in the fins. After about a week of non-stop flaring (except at night, of course), my old-man fish tore his anal fin a little bit. It healed just fine, I did nothing to treat it except clean water. After that time he slowed down a lot too. He just had to get used to having another fish he could see.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #4 
Sena Hansler

Sometimes it can cause tearing. I have Riddle who flares at me, his flare buddy (now adopted and going home today! <3 ) his shadow, the shelf, my shadow, sound.... Light.... I left him be and he does his thin on and off.

Crayola when he had a background, he sat there looking at it. Tried going to the rocks... That werent really there... and flared a bit too. He adjusted soon.

It's like a change in their environment :p something new can get them going sometimes lol! I put a thermometer in El Dorado's tank and he freaked at it :o
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 PM   #5 
Gen2387

Thanks guys, I was just worried because when I put new stuff in the tank he NEVER freaks out but that background has really got him going. LOL! I'll wait a couple of days, if he doesn't calm down I might try something else as a background. Crazy fishy! :)
Old 11-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #6 
Sena Hansler

lol that sounds good :)
Old 11-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #7 
TaraVictor

Haha, that's quite funny. I have a similar problem with my betta, but he's calmed down quite a lot and doesn't flare as much as he used to. I guess he's learnt to get used to it.
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 
Draug Isilme

I can't find it right now, but there was a site I went to that talked a bit about the background. It has something to do with the lighting reflecting off of your background in a way that, like everyone's said above, makes your betta see himself. Depending on the color of the background as well as the lighting will depend on how reflective it becomes. Usually the darker the better so long as it's not too dark, and the same can be said as too light of a background. Technically, it's not anything to worry about so long as you keep an eye on your little guy to make sure he doesn't get over stressed or injure himself too severely.
The way my tank is, I don't have a background, but the light reflects off of the tank walls enough to where my betta can see himself. At first, he did seem a bit stressed out, but after a week of getting used to it, he does still flare, but you can see after he gets done he has that "macho" swim goin on afterwords xD His appetite has never changed throughout being in there, and at first he had a few holes in his dorsal, but it's gone away and his fins look fantastic. So yeah, it's not a huge issue to worry about, but it is something you should keep an eye on as every individual betta is different in some way or another.. >.> Ya never know, but I'm sure your little guy will do fine ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM   #9 
Sena Hansler

If you can, get blue light :) I have my sorority half in blue light and half in UV. it does a transition from dark to light (dark being blue, light being UV) it looks cool, gives some light, but not too much
Old 11-25-2011, 07:32 AM   #10 
Gen2387

Sadly I had to remove the bakcground because Admiral made a little rip in his caudal fin. It's a little hole.So I'm not taking anymore chances. It's boring without the background but at least my fsh isn't going crazy!