Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #1 
Indyfishy

Unhappy He hurt himself somehow =(

It appears that Sully hurt himself some time last night. Every morning he flares at his reflection for several minutes before he finally figures out that it's his reflection This morning, one of his gill covers appears to be stuck down. When he flares, only one side opens up, the other stays flat. He's also taking frequent breaths at the surface, and acting agitated.
Anything I can do for him?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? mid 70's
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? not yet, my store hasn't gotten the adjustable ones for tanks this size in stock yet, they have been sold out every time I've gone so far =(
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin betta pellets, Omega one betta buffet flakes, and freeze dried blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? once in the early afternoon

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50% or 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Top Fin betta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? his gill cover appears to be stuck =(
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he's acting agitated, and he's taking frequent breaths from the surface.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? this morning. I did a 100% water change last night and he was fine.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? nothing yet, not sure if there's anything I can do.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? his growth is stunted from malnutrition, he was only about 4 months old when I got him and he had been unable to eat the big pellets at the pet store. I'm not sure how long he went without food, but he was pretty skinny/colorless. He's healthy now, but much smaller than an adult fish should be.
How old is your fish (approximately)? About 8 months, approximately.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:17 PM   #2 
brownmane

Don't know a lot about betta illness, but if you have a heater for his tank, betta do like it warmer (80F). Keep him in a quiet place with subdued light and this will help start his recovery. Someone else may have more detailed suggestions.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:24 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Did he maybe run into one of him plants during the night? He might have poked himself and he could be a little hurt from that.

Either way, I think clean water is going to be the biggest helper in him getting better.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #4 
Indyfishy

I think he's ok, he seems to have worked it out himself, thank goodness!!! I actually just went to take a shower and when I came back he had a big bubble nest going, so I assume he's going to be fine X) Thanks for the advice guys!!!
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #5 
brownmane

Good to hear.
brownmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #6 
GamerGuy

My Betta Ray had a similar issue with only one gill flap opening when he flared. I suspect this may have something to do with him being especially upset; I may have changed the water to acclimate him too quickly, or he may have just strained it from flaring so aggressively.
GamerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote