Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 PM   #11 
Sena Hansler

Oh trust me. He has shown me that filter "needs" to be full blast (I will NOT!) just so he can rub against it to dislodge the pests and I added a new thermometer, and he freaked at it, going right after it, then frantically swimming away such a weirdo!!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #12 
youlovegnats

Sena....

Ich is a free-swimming protozoan parasite that is in the water. It wasn't a stress issue that caused Ich....

The Ich parasite starts its life as a free swimming organism that moves around in the aquarium, looking for a suitable host. When it finds a fish, it will attach itself to the outer layer of the fish's skin and start feeing on its bodily fluids. It can also attach itself to the gills, thus making it hard for the fish to breathe. Soon, the parasite will have developed a protective outer shell, a so called cyst, and it is this shell that we can see as a small white grain on the skin of infected fish. A fish heavily infested with Ich parasites can look as if someone had sprinkled it with grains of salt.

"In the encysted stage, the parasite is a so called theront. The theront stage will end when the organism has grown big enough to break through its protective shell and drop to the bottom of the aquarium. It will attach itself to any surface, e.g. gravel, plants, tubing, or glass, and start to reproduce. The theront has now turned into a trophozoite (also known as trophont). Within 36 hours, one single trophozoite can produce hundreds of free-swimming Ich organisms – so called tomites – and the life cycle will start over again. Only the tomites are able to infect fish and only the tomites are sensitive to treatment."
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #13 
Sena Hansler

Stress can cause ich to attack fish. I already know this... or so I was told this anyways. Stress, causes a betta to have a higher chance to get infected such as with parasites, like ich, and yes I know ich is always in the tank. Usually they remain dormant until the fish is weak (stress, internal or external illness, cold water, bad water quality)

Unless I was told wrong o_O water quality is great, always cleaned. cycled tank... food: FDB, pellets, and live/frozen foods when I have them (bloodworms usually.)

That tank has never had ich break out, ever. The other tank did but with a good treatment and cleaning routine the ich never came back, and is being used to house only Spartan :) The girls sorority tank had one time that Rose, being picked on, got ich - but that was gone soon too.

"Ich is so widespread that many experts feel that it is present in the environment of most aquariums, especially in larger holding tanks, rearing ponds of breeders, collectors, and wholesalers. In fact, just about every aquarium fish will come into contact with this protozoan at several times in its life. Because it is so widespread, most fish have developed a good immune response against the disease to allow them to fight off the protozoan infection before it ever causes any symptoms. Captive fish that develop ich usually get the disease when their immune systems are not functioning as well as they should be because of stress. We know that stress lowers the immune response and when fish are stressed that is when ich is most prevalent."

"In addition to the causes described above, factors that are detrimental to the immune system of your fish can easily cause an Ich outbreak and must therefore be avoided. This includes keeping your fish in a barren aquarium where it feels stressed, keeping it with bullying tank mates, and keeping schooling fish alone. Water temperature and water chemistry should always be maintained within suitable parameters, and do not forget that many species handle rapid changes poorly. Even changes that are within the recommended water parameters can prove harmful to such species. Keeping the levels of organic waste down in the aquarium is also very important if you want your fish to stay healthy."

the second one made me wonder if it was because he came from a 3 gallon, moved into a 10 gallon which was bare....

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 11-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #14 
youlovegnats

Having it be bare or not isn't going to affect the water quality.
Yes, I believe you were misinformed.
Ich is a parasite- therefor it needs a host to live. It can't just be roaming around in the water system. I'm thinking it's from other aquatic life in the tank (snails, plants, etc.)

It can also stay dormant in a fish for quite some time before showing the white cycts. That also might be what it is.
Perhaps the stress of an unfamiliar tank allowed for the parasite to become active again...
Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM   #15 
Sena Hansler

Maybe. There are no plants or snails. Considering it is my previous breeding tank, it is completely bear now. D: he is kinda new. Must've been a "dont want him" return noted in a previous post. He was with... Some kinda tetras. Then with me in a 3 gallon, now in the new large filtered tank...
Old 11-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #16 
youlovegnats

Aaaaahhh! That might have been it! The fact that he's new and was previously housed with other fish is a good indication of what happened. :)
Old 11-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #17 
Sena Hansler

I've had him I think for a few weeks now... Of course since (as said elsewhere) he was a "I dont want" fish, he was there only that day I got him - just chillin on a plant the other fish were active and healthy, no one was injured sick or dead, tank was actually clean... So I took him :p
Old 11-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #18 
Sena Hansler

I've raised the temperature. He is still eating, active, all the works :)