Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #1 
wwendy104

Question Heater/tank concern

Ok so after reading and looking at all the tank set ups I changed mine. I had a 2.5 gallon split for about 1 week until I could figure out what to get and where to put the tank for the new baby I found at petsmart. My one fish kept getting over the divider and the poor little baby betta was terrified. So I grabbed one of those big 2 gallon cookie jars some have on here for the baby last night. I love the way they look set up so I decided on that. I got it all set up put the heater, thermometer, and conditioner in it and reacclimated my baby to the jar.

He seems really happy but im worried about the water temp. I have a 10w submersible heater made for a 2-5 gallon tank which works great in the 2.5 gallon acrylic tank but it doesn't seem be heating the water as well in the glass one. The water feels really warm if I feel it so I can only think that maybe the thick glass is throwing off the glass thermometer suctioned to the side? Or maybe the glass gets colder then acrylic and the heater isn't strong enough to keep the higher temp? I usually keep all my tanks about 78-80 and use the same heater and haven't had a problem. But on this tank the thermometer says its about 72 which I don't like at all.

What do you all think? Does a glass tank not hold heat as well?
wwendy104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #2 
tpocicat

Is the thermometer in the water? If so, the water is too cold. If it's on the outside, that might be the problem, and the water temp is OK.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:16 AM   #3 
wwendy104

Yes it is a glass floating thermometer suctioned inside the tank. I took a temp with another one though by holding it in the middle of the tank and it registered warmer. Do you think maybe it is reading wrong because it is up against the glass wall of the tank though? I hate to put a strong heater in there and over heat the tank if maybe it is the thermometer.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #4 
Brian10962001

It takes a while for glass tank thermometers to register properly. Also I'm assuming you have no filter so give it time to get the whole tank up to the same temp. Stir the water around a bit if you want to speed the process up. I use the stick on thermometers but it takes several hours before they will give an accurate reading of how warm your tank is.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:03 PM   #5 
wwendy104

Thank you Brian, you gave me a thought about my set up since its a new tank. I had the heater set up to high in the tank and the thermometer towards the bottom of the tank. So I went home at lunch and put my hand in there and sure enough toasty warm on top and cold on the bottom. Ugh Im so silly so I moved the thermometer to the middle area of the tank and the heater at the bottom so it can heat all the water! I also stirred the water some and the thermometer then said it was about 76 degrees. Blonde moment :) Again thank you, your most fabulous!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #6 
wwendy104

Here is the tank also just so you can see, I replaced all the plastic decorations with silk. He loves them!
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 AM   #7 
acadialover

Very pretty. I've never seen those jars. where did you get it ? What brand of heater do you use for a 2 gallon ? I've been having heater troubles lately on my 5 gallons....
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:02 AM   #8 
wwendy104

Aw thanks, there are quite a few on here who have them and I loved the look. I got mine at Walmart it is a 2 gallon cookie jar and was about $10. I have seem then at other stores like Target, Kroger, and Bed bath and beyond but Walmart was the cheapest by far. The heater I have is Aqueon 10w mini heater which I have in two tanks and I use a Hydor 7.5w pad heater in the 3 gallon. They both work great but are not adjustable. I just look at the temp once or so a day to make sure it's ok. I really love it more then my two regular tanks actually and it cost less!