Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Stiff Fins?

This is more out of curiosity than anything.

Ratchet's fins seem to be pretty stiff when compared to Moonshoes, Starscream or Mirage. For a crown tail, he has very little web reduction when compared to others, so might this be it?

It's not impeding his movement at all and he flares just fine, but I was wondering as to what might cause this.

He is a tail biter, so I know the ends are still growing back. His water is changed out 4 times a week (4 50% to take care of ammonia and dead plant matter on the bottom, he also bites if he's in a cup) and is between 79-80 consistently.

My water is fairly hard and high in calcium, so might this be a cause?
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:17 AM   #2 
Sweeda88

Do you mean that they seem more perky, like they're always flared a bit? CTs seem to have that look from what I've seen. I just think it's the way they are.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:35 PM   #3 
Pataflafla

Nonono. Not that. He does have a flared look to him most of the time.

What I meant was that instead of the webbing being almost soft and flexible like it is for my other crown tails, his seems like it's stiff and unmoving. Not flowy at all.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #4 
Draug Isilme

Maybe it's like a form of callus? You know how you play guitar with your fingers and they develop callus or walk around barefoot for a long period of time? You said he's a tail biter, so maybe his constant biting is making them more 'durable' and stiff to adapt to the constant biting? I don't know how accurate this is as I don't even know if fish can have calluses on their fins... but yeah... it's a brainstorming thought xD I don't see why it wouldn't be possible and it's at least another probable outcome...
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:37 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Didn't mean to sound harsh in my last post. Got used to using a chat instead of actual forum posts for a little bit.

Maybe it is possible for the new growth to be stiffer. I'm not worried about it since it doesn't affect his motion at all. I was just curious on my part because I noticed the difference.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #6 
mountaintrout

How long has it been that way? Have you had him from a fry? I read something once about some diets that lead to a stiffer caratoid structure in fins
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #7 
Pataflafla

I've had him for 5 months now, going on 6. He was young when I bought him though.

He's had previous ammonia damage due to being from Walmart, had ick a few times, and has always been in hard water with me. He started his tail biting a few months ago and has managed to take off half of his tail at the most.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #8 
mountaintrout

He has had a rough time of it for sure. Can you put up some pics? Its nice to see another DA on here. Me below

http://mountaintrout.deviantart.com/
Old 11-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #9 
mountaintrout

He has had a rough time of it for sure. Can you put up some pics? Its nice to see another DA on here. Me below

http://mountaintrout.deviantart.com/
Old 11-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #10 
Myates

Hmm.. is it similar to the pic below? Spyro never has his fins relaxed/clamped down. No matter what he always has his fins straight out as if flaring continuously, even though he isn't. Even during a water change he doesn't collapse them. I just figured that is just how he is, likes to show off :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with yours, just how he prefers to be I suppose.
(ignore his old jar.. why the line in the middle)
Attached Images

Myates is offline   Reply With Quote