Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
RoseBerry123

Random question

Please excuse my stupid question. But do you think that if you ever got a big enough tank that male bettas could live together peacefully?

I'm not going to attempt this but I was just curious. :)
RoseBerry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #2 
HatsuneMiku

yes .. this is possible .. one of my LFS that i go to usually keep 3-4 male bettas in what looks like a 120 - 150g tank .. it's lightly planted and they have maybe 100's of micro fish in there that i can't identify =)
HatsuneMiku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

We've had this discussion before and different people say different things but I think it's not possible. Others have said that with a big enough tank two males could co-exist peacefully but I don't think so.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #4 
trilobite

I think its possible. As long as there is enough space for them to escape each others attention and set up their own territories it should work.
It would have to be a huge, heavily planted tank in my opinion in order for it to work safely though.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM   #5 
Lighterman

Anything's possible when you believe! ;)
But yes, I also do think this is possible.
Lighterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #6 
Kytkattin

We have a member on this forum who does keep many males and females together. Take a look at OldFishLady's albums. She has managed to keep some spawns together, though not without a lot of hard work. It is not something for the beginning fish keeper to even think about, but for those who have gone down the path of breeding and keeping many, many fish could attempt such a thing.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:56 PM   #7 
SnowySurface

I think it's possible with the right sized tank and the right amount of skill. It is probably 1000x more complicated than keeping females together in a sorority. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes 100 gallons for 5 males to get along compared to the 10 gallons needed for 5 females (since males don't form schools). The males would probably have to be spawn mates since that factor helps with female communities. The tank would need endless hiding spots and lots of plant coverage. Even with females you get the occasional girl who is just too aggressive to be in a community setting. That snag in the plan would probably happen even more often with male betta communities.

Even if my tank size guess is a bit of overkill, you would need so much time to referee during the intro. Even with 20 gallons per fish I wouldn't be surprised if one male wanted to own all 100 gallons. I'll stick with 1 male in individual 5 gallon tanks. XD
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 
trilobite

The tank at one of my lfs had a tank about 60L full of sibling males and females. The set up looked ugly, bland tank, torn fins everywhere but no obviously stressed fish. Probably because they were never seperated and given time to build up their territorial behaviours, plus it was only a temporary setup, I highly doubt this would work long term though.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #9 
Larsa

I personally think its possible ^-^ If they have their own space and have maybe been from the same strain then its reasonable! :P I think maybe one plakat male in a sorority tank of maybe 15-20 gals might also be feasible, I have wanted to try that but I dont have the guts to try.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #10 
Sena Hansler

lol I have a 20 gallon... I dunno if I'd stick any of my males in with the gals :p He'd never get food and they'd be jumping out of the water to escape x.x (divas...) I don't think I have the guts to try either It's hard enough having the four sisters together in a heavily planted tank... :p

Then again when I bred my male Maine, he never nipped the female. He just did the *swims up* I'M PRETTY!!! *swims away* thing Him, I could possibly have seen being with females if it were a big, long tank.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote