Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #1 
Anitax3x

Talking New tank!

Hey guys ! I just came across an 40 gal tank with some sponge filters for only $20!!!!!!!!!!!!! btw if you're in south florida pm me because a guy has TONS of tanks and he's trying to get rid of them (along with sponge filters) I'll send you his number. So I'm thinking what should I do with it?!
at first I was thinking a sorority. but now I'm starting to think I should set it up for something else?? angel fish? I wanted goldfish but 40 would be too small for fancy goldfish. I may do a sorority but I'd love you guys input!

I'm so so SO excited! any and all suggestions are appreciated
Anitax3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM   #2 
Dead Sunlight

I wish I was there! D:
lol, but thats why we have craigslist... ;)
Unless the tank is "tall" you probably shouldn't keep angels.. They're shy fish who will reside peacefuly in a tall tank with a soft current and hide in lots of tall plants.
I have an exact same setup, sorority with about 6-7 glasscatfish- i reccommend a sorority in this case.
You could keep fancy golds in there as well, just keep in mind your stocking levels and they should be fine.
Personally my 40 gal community tank favs must be a full species tank tiger barbs or a pearl guoramis (9sry i cant spell today)
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #3 
LaLaLeyla

What? A fancy goldfish would be perfect for that! :D
Fancy goldfish only require a 20-30 gallon tank.
LaLaLeyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:48 PM   #4 
Anitax3x

hmm okay. I'm looking at stands. sheehs its gonna be more than the tank :( well I'm pretty sure Ill get a certain one. but yeah, I'm thinking of setting it up for a sority. I'll probably be selling my 20 gal. I'll be messing with everything tonight. Eeeek!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #5 
Anitax3x

yeah they do but call me selfish I don't want 1 or 2 fish taking up the entire tank lol
Old 11-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #6 
BettaMiah

1 Fish.. with exra room bit not enough for another fish... :/

Thats not selfish. Its a preference. But it also means Goldies migt not be the fish for you, even if you had a 55G you still only have 2. Or 100G with 4.
BettaMiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #7 
Luimeril

you could do 2-3 fancies in that tank. :V it's 20 gallons for the first fancy, add 10 gallons for every additional. so, for a 40, you could do 2-3 fancies, but you'd have to have heavy filtration, no matter what the number of goldies. that's the rules i was taught on another forum, and there's TONS of goldie lovers on there. they, actually, got me into wanting little bitty Pearlscale goldies.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #8 
Anitax3x

See for me, I would feel bad knowing they need more room and gallons. So the more I learn about them, the more I realize they aren't what I'm looking for. I'm probably going to just do a massive sorority, tons of hiding places, possibly other community fish, I currently have corydoras and platies in my 20 gal high which Will be transferred over once I get my stand. AHH So excited!