Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 05:36 PM   #1 
EvilVOG

Eclipse tank?

Been researching breeding a bit and one question i'm left with is can i Breed my Bettas in my current main tank, an Eclipse system 3. It is planted with a Hornwort that is trying to take over the tank to slow down flow.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

And while i'm at it my female (as shown in the picture gallery) is showing bars, but i have not seen any sign that the male is building (or trying to build) a bubble nest. Will she be okay if they don't breed? Should i get another male?

I do own most of the components of the breeding tanks i see most people using... should i buy the rest and switch to that?
Old 11-24-2011, 12:49 AM   #3 
bettalover2033

Well it isn't such a good idea to breed CT with VT (CrowntailxVeiltail) only because it will create bad finnage and the rays wont be as clear.

With that said and out of the way, i have to add that your male is a pretty one! I suggest getting a different female. Another Crowntail would be best because that would make sure the fry are coming out with great rays and pure CT.

Anyway to answer your question, it would be best to breed in a 10 gallon bare bottom tank, with live plants floating and submerged. Also a heater and all that other stuff you researched should be in it. Make sure there is no gravel. You know, things like that. I don't know how your Eclipse tank looks though.

About the female, She will either let the eggs drop and eat them or will just reabsorb them and not let them drop. She will be fine and her belly will go back down to regular size.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #4 
EvilVOG

got alot of advice about not breeding them so i won't let her back out. I think he's been making attempts to make a nest he's just giving up after a couple bubbles. I've made the decision to get a breeding tank going this weekend, thankfully i have extra tanks, pumps and filters laying around, just need to grab another heater.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #5 
bettalover2033

Wow, im am a bit surprised that you are this prepared. Seriously, because many new members come into the forum and say they want to breed, but are honestly not ready, though they ask for advice and answers to obvious questions and such then take that and stomp it into the ground because it isn't what they want to hear.

I'm so glad that you are smarter and are actually taking our advice and going to get another female. It is best that you do get your breeding tank ready for the weekend then condition the pair for at least 1 week and they should be ready to spawn.

And the male will eventually make a nest. Some males will even make a nest after embracing and having the eggs. So I've heard.

-BL2033
Old 11-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #6 
mountaintrout

I am doing everything I can before the first breeding. I don't ever want to 4usk my betta with my "pants down" great job on being prepared !
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:05 AM   #7 
EvilVOG

i've bred fish in the past, and reptiles, and gerbils. Been quiet for a while as it's not as easy to breed animals anymore (usually you can only buy one gender, or the price is insane for sexed). So it's just been me and my Ball python for 10 years, and everything else got old and passed, so i have the tanks left over.

He finally got motivated last night with her in the cup and built a nest (pictures in the pictures forum) now i feel bad seeing as they won't get to do their thing
Old 11-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Don't worry. It's for the best and im definitely sure that you will have your spawn and they will be healthy with beautiful fry! Let us know when you get the female CT.

-BL2033
Old 11-24-2011, 02:57 PM   #9 
mountaintrout

From all I've seen, there is one common element......they breed only......whoah....it worked. That's what I've seen most. I'm site you will get you4 spawn..on their time....
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote