Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-24-2011, 03:33 PM   #11 
Sweeda88

I know you can use 100% silicone from the hardware store (no additives) but I'm saying things like hot glue and super glue aren't safe. I wouldn't bet my fish's life on something that was SUPPOSEDLY safe, but I wasn't 100% sure about.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:38 PM   #12 
Draug Isilme

Ah okay, you just made a point to say never use anything but aquarium silicone, but I see you meant never use anything but aquarium safe silicone. I agree with not using anything you're not absolutely sure about, I just felt like the short comment was a little too one sided without having further explanation.
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #13 
Sweeda88

I just prefer silicone made for aquariums because it's so easy to accidentally pick up the wrong tube at the hardware store, and if you don't catch it, it can harm your fish. I just like to be super cautious, but you CAN use the stuff from the hardware store.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:56 PM   #14 
Draug Isilme

Yeah, understandable ^.^ Anytime I get anything that's out of a the hardware section, I always double, triple, and quadripple check to make sure I'm not gonna kill anything xD I even did that with the light bulb I got in Target so I could make sure I wouldn't kill my new plants >.>
I've been looking up stuff about hot glue; I haven't seen anything legit, but overall, everyone says it's non-toxic and there are people who have used it in tanks with success. There was also someone else who said that supposedly it's toxic in its liquid form, but when it hardens it's non-toxic. I'm sure it depends on the type of glue stick you're using because there are different varieties. I think it's something to look into, but that's just me ^.^;
Old 11-24-2011, 06:34 PM   #15 
MoePaac

Things like super glue and hot glue aren't necessarily unsafe once they cure. The only primary concern I see is their ability to hold up in water after an extended period of time. I would use aquarium silicone alongside any other adhesive.

I don't use aquarium silicone on my outdoor pond. Most sealants and adhesives sold for ponds aren't aquarium silicone per say. You have to decide what is best for you in the situation.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #16 
Jodah

Guys with saltwater use gell super glue to hold their frags in place all the time. And saltwater is much, much more touchy than freshwater.

In other news, cut up some 3" pvc earlier today, coated in aquarium silicone (cuz I forgot I still had some) and rolled it in petco sand. basic for now, but better than the nothing my poor guy is forced to deal with atm.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:44 PM   #17 
Draug Isilme

I came across something about people using gel super glue. I was wondering about that, 'cause I've heard so many people say 'DON"T USE SUPER GLUE!' buuuuuuut again... research ^.^ Just something else I've learned today

Just curious, though, what exactly is the big difference between liquid and gel super glue? I haven't looked any of it up, so yeah.. >.> I'm at a loss at the moment...
Old 11-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #18 
Jodah

I think its some of the solvents in the full liquid superglue that can cause problems, but somehow because the gel is different, it doesn't. Never really understood it myself really. Always figured super glue was superglue. But every Saltwater guy I've talked to told me to use the gel type superglue.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 PM   #19 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
Always figured super glue was superglue.
Me, too! ^.^;;
Old 11-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #20 
Larkspur

I made this in my ceramics class it's porcelain. :D

Last edited by Larkspur; 11-26-2011 at 03:05 AM. Reason: wrong pic
Larkspur is offline   Reply With Quote