Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #1 
ManInBlack2010

tail biting/stress stripes?

So i got this little guy this past saturday (about a week ago) from petsmart. his fins were a little ragged when i bought him, but i guess i over looked that just 'cause he was such a handsome guy. Well now i think they're getting even more ragged and he appears to have what i think are stress stripes. he's white so i guess his stress stripes would be dark...

my question is, do you have any idea why he could have stress stripes and is there anything i can do about the tail biting? i would think he wouldnt since he's in a huge new tank with lots of stuff to explore. he also has a snail to perk his curiosity. i haven't actually seen him bite the tail but he's alone in the house 8+ hours a day. The tank is not cycled but i plan on doing frequent water changes for the next few weeks. his tank is about a foot away from another male's tank but i don't think they can see each other and his plants are silk so i don't think he can be catching it on anything unless he had a fight with the filter...

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5g
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? yes whisper 3i
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? one mystery snail

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari betta bio gold pellets with blood worms supplemented once or twice a week
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1x in the pm

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? for the next month, 2x a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25% and 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Aqueon water conditioner and stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: .5-1.0
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.4
Hardness: 0
Alkalinity: 200

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? possible stress stripes and pieces of tail missing
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? has not, he seems to be adjusting to his new home fairly well
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last few days
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? have not
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no, i've had him for 6 days
How old is your fish (approximately)? probably very young, he's itty bitty, probably only a little over an inch long

ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote