Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 AM   #1 
bettalover2033

Culling a Betta

Hello everyone!

Well I'm not breeding YET, though I want to and NEED to know how I would go about doing this.

I know that since I am going to be breeding, sometime or another, i'm going to have to do this. It's every breeders nightmare to find yourself having to cull/kill.

So I am asking experienced breeders and or non-experienced breeders, How have you culled or do cull.

I am looking for the most humane way to cull a betta. I think it would ease my conscience if I found the most humane way that would be painless to the fish. Maybe something quick and easy? Well I think the most humane way would be to freeze them. Only because I have NEVER had to cull because I have never had a cull.

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:19 AM   #2 
vilmarisv

There are some chemicals you can use to cull fish that will put them to sleep and kill them.
Personally, I have culled fish by freezing them. I placed it in a small container with very little water and just placed it in the freezer. It's heartbreaking but sometimes necessary.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:24 AM   #3 
mountaintrout

That is a question on me as well. I will be breeding with my daughter for her high school science fair. I have everything ready to go and have home for the babies, but I'm sure one will have to be humanely culled. She is now in 7th grade so her project is a 3 year process. Her heart will implode when the time comes,so good advice will hopefully keep a few tears back.......maybe
mountaintrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:30 AM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

An overdose of clove oil is the best method for humane euthanasia. I used 1/2 a bottle per fish as it kills them almost instantly and doesn't require a follow-up with vodka as is normally done.

You just have to ensure you have properly dispersed the clove oil in water before adding it. Also clove oil has a very strong smell, so I recommend using gloves to avoid getting it all over your hands.

You can pick clove oil up in some supermarkets, as well as at your local chemist.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:33 AM   #5 
mountaintrout

Thank you very much
Old 11-25-2011, 12:39 AM   #6 
LittleBettaFish

Just ensure that if you use the clove oil method you leave them in the solution for a couple of hours after gill movement has stopped.

Fish have been known to 'come back to life' once they have been taken out of the clove oil.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #7 
mountaintrout

Tough fish, yet fragile. I love that quality
Old 11-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #8 
EvilVOG

You could always use the board to give away extra fish, maybe even offer some to a pet shop?
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:24 AM   #9 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilVOG View Post
You could always use the board to give away extra fish, maybe even offer some to a pet shop?
NO. I would never give any fish to any pet shop because they are too cruel. Even when they dont notice it. I don't think ill ever offer my fish to a pet store. To be honest pet stores that sell cats or dogs are very inhumane people and horrible! They get commercially bought from puppy mills and other mills that involve other pets. Also I wouldnt want to give away a cull that really has to suffer in order to live. (If it is a simple deformity, then i will have him in my *Adopt a cull* program and will give a person an option to adopt a cull with a buy from one of my fish. It's like a bonus. Only to trustworthy people is who i would offer them to.

-BL2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
An overdose of clove oil is the best method for humane euthanasia. I used 1/2 a bottle per fish as it kills them almost instantly and doesn't require a follow-up with vodka as is normally done.

You just have to ensure you have properly dispersed the clove oil in water before adding it. Also clove oil has a very strong smell, so I recommend using gloves to avoid getting it all over your hands.

You can pick clove oil up in some supermarkets, as well as at your local chemist.
What exactly is it? And what does it do? Where would be the most likely place to find it? Is it expensive?

-BL2033
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:32 AM   #10 
mountaintrout

I truly like what you had to say there bettalovet. I commend you and thank you