Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #91 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochoramet View Post
Right, I understand where you are coming from. I think that if the fish is severely deformed, it would be kinder to put it out of its misery. But slightly deformed fish, or even fish that just would not contribute to your line should be given a chance to be a pet, rather than culled.
Agreed.
Also, I couldn't smash mine with a hammer, either. Blech!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 AM   #92 
Sena Hansler

... I'm just saying that although fish have been studied enough to know they lack a large range of emotions, humans can still put emotions to the fish... we humanize fish, which then can make it harder to part with them. Same as a cat or dog (to me anyways)

and bettas in small bowls for the christmas tree? wow. sorry to say but people can be quite shallow and inconsiderate... Just because an animal is small, or is "useless" other than a decoration, doesn't mean humans have any right to walk all over mother nature.
I moved yesterday and all I got was rude comments from my roommate's friend, about fish. About... they aren't animals, they are useless, ugly, waste of money and time etc. And I don't care - he's not the one owning one and he never should with that lame mindset He'd be the one who'd smash any fish with a hammer because it doesn't purr, you can't hold it, it doesn't fetch ><

I'd also like to note, that I had so many people coming to adopt my rescue bettas, because 1. they were free 2. they were healthy 3. I did it to rescue fish who'd otherwise die, get flushed, get smashed. And they liked that fact, that I rescued these fishies. The one who came for Nemphis loved his coloring, loved how he was all healthy even after getting fin rot. The one who got Reggie said I was a good person for healing him up.

Last edited by Sena Hansler; 12-02-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #93 
bettalover2033

@Sena, I think you are a good person as well. Very helpful. I could never hold a "betta hospital" because treating fish are one of my weaknesses. I think it would be too hard on me and torture to the fish that I try to rescue. I had just one rescue in my life and she turned out to be a HUGE male HMPK. His fins grew almost ten times in size. He really looked like a little helpless female. He later was one of my breeding males. Great fins and beautiful color on him. He reminded me of the 4th of july. When I rescued him he was an ugly gray color and I thought "hey, i'll give this a try. You never know what face true beauty takes on.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #94 
tpocicat

I really like your "rescue a cull" program. I just might steal the idea when mine are ready to find homes.
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #95 
Sena Hansler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
@Sena, I think you are a good person as well. Very helpful. I could never hold a "betta hospital" because treating fish are one of my weaknesses. I think it would be too hard on me and torture to the fish that I try to rescue. I had just one rescue in my life and she turned out to be a HUGE male HMPK. His fins grew almost ten times in size. He really looked like a little helpless female. He later was one of my breeding males. Great fins and beautiful color on him. He reminded me of the 4th of july. When I rescued him he was an ugly gray color and I thought "hey, i'll give this a try. You never know what face true beauty takes on.
Well, that's where my colorless girls came from all were left there for months without getting cleaned half full bowl things. they've grown double since I got them, but they have all stopped growing now. I fear they've been stunted to a point they'll never grow properly. Rose is still only... maybe an inch. and stopped growing... nobody wants them because they are small, ugly and pathetic. right? Everyone wanted my rescues because they figured it was better to adopt a healthy, healed betta than a sickly "who knows when it will die -turn around- IT DIED!" betta from the store.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #96 
bettalover2033

agreed!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #97 
cajunamy
Banned

Wow this has gone WAY off of what the OP was asking. OP wasn't really asking for a discussion on ethics, just ways of euthanasia.

A breeder has to decide for themselves what they are most comfy with for culling. One person may be comfortable with decapitation, another may not and may not have access to clove oil or large carnivorous fish so freezing it their only option.

I personally bought an angelfish for fry culls, and I also have clove oil on hand for fish too large for him to handle. I have not yet had to cull any fry, but I know it will happen eventually.

If you decide to breed, and to breed continually, you are going to have to deal with culling even when the fish are not deformed/sick. Sometimes you will just have too many fish to handle that you can not even give away. It's just the nature of the hobby. If you can't handle culling, you shouldn't be breeding. If you breed, you are responsible for every life you bring into this world, including if you can not rehome a fish and can not adequately care for it yourself because you have too many others to care for. It happens, whether you agree with it or not, so please don't start a discussion on this point.
cajunamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM   #98 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
If you decide to breed, and to breed continually, you are going to have to deal with culling even when the fish are not deformed/sick. Sometimes you will just have too many fish to handle that you can not even give away. It's just the nature of the hobby. If you can't handle culling, you shouldn't be breeding. If you breed, you are responsible for every life you bring into this world, including if you can not rehome a fish and can not adequately care for it yourself because you have too many others to care for. It happens, whether you agree with it or not, so please don't start a discussion on this point.
Quoted for TRUTH.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 10:01 PM   #99 
bettalover2033

@1fish2fish: If I was to see that the female may be producing more fry than I honestly can care for, would it be wise to remove the female to minimize the fry number? I have heard this being done with many Thia Breeders. I'm not a Thia breeder obviously, but if I was to ever come across this situation, how would you go about doing this?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #100 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunamy View Post
Wow this has gone WAY off of what the OP was asking. OP wasn't really asking for a discussion on ethics, just ways of euthanasia.

A breeder has to decide for themselves what they are most comfy with for culling. One person may be comfortable with decapitation, another may not and may not have access to clove oil or large carnivorous fish so freezing it their only option.

I personally bought an angelfish for fry culls, and I also have clove oil on hand for fish too large for him to handle. I have not yet had to cull any fry, but I know it will happen eventually.

Exactly my point....I guess it takes someone who has been here longer to say sensitive things like this and not get attacked for being insensitive.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote