Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 01:29 PM   #101 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
@1fish2fish: If I was to see that the female may be producing more fry than I honestly can care for, would it be wise to remove the female to minimize the fry number? I have heard this being done with many Thia Breeders. I'm not a Thia breeder obviously, but if I was to ever come across this situation, how would you go about doing this?
Personally I would never remove the female until they were completely finished. For one it could stress the male or female and they could destroy the nest/eggs, also I just think its better to raise them up and then start culling as they get older.

Up until you start jarring them a spawn of 5 and a spawn of 500 aren't really that different, you're still feeding and water changing one tank. IME at about 4 weeks (which is when I begin transferring to a 10 gal from my 5 gal spawning tub) you can usually see any major deformities and cull. By 8-10 weeks when you start beginning to jar to biggest and most aggressive you can begin to cull for things like wonky fins and color you don't want. Whittle your spawn down to a manageable size from there.

I've known breeders with show champions that were just late bloomers hanging out in the female tanks... Which is why I I prefer not to cull very early. While it is hard having to cull a perfectly healthy fish due to lack of room, for me its better to wait because I can make a better decision about which fish will be best.
Posted via Mobile Device
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #102 
Curlyfatbottom

killing is killing.
how hard is it.
if you think its to hard to do.
then i recommend that you shouldn't breed.
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:52 PM   #103 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
killing is killing.
how hard is it.
if you think its to hard to do.
then i recommend that you shouldn't breed.
Excuse me?... Please if you have nothing to contribute, don't do it. I mean that in the nicest way possible. I just don't think that was a "correct" comment to make.

I was personally asking how do OTHERS cull, and another question to a certain member. I have never culled before because I have never had to, but i'm sure I'll need to sooner or later.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #104 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Personally I would never remove the female until they were completely finished. For one it could stress the male or female and they could destroy the nest/eggs, also I just think its better to raise them up and then start culling as they get older.

Up until you start jarring them a spawn of 5 and a spawn of 500 aren't really that different, you're still feeding and water changing one tank. IME at about 4 weeks (which is when I begin transferring to a 10 gal from my 5 gal spawning tub) you can usually see any major deformities and cull. By 8-10 weeks when you start beginning to jar to biggest and most aggressive you can begin to cull for things like wonky fins and color you don't want. Whittle your spawn down to a manageable size from there.

I've known breeders with show champions that were just late bloomers hanging out in the female tanks... Which is why I I prefer not to cull very early. While it is hard having to cull a perfectly healthy fish due to lack of room, for me its better to wait because I can make a better decision about which fish will be best.
Posted via Mobile Device
That makes a lot of sense. This stress could also lead to death if it is intense enough. I'll definitely won't do this now that I know.

I think I'll look for culls at around the 4-7 week mark and then from that time, I shouldn't have any other culls[that needed to be culled].

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #105 
Curlyfatbottom

as a breed you will have to cull.
there no escape from it.
trust me on that.
put them to use or take them out quick.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #106 
bettalover2033

@Curlyfatbottom: I know that, but I didn't think your comment was relevant because I have stated that I know it's going to happen sooner or later.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #107 
Curlyfatbottom

will im just stating the fact.
you will have to cull in every single batch.
unless you let nature take it course.
but you will have a low fry turnout rate.
the more effort you take to caring the frys.
the more you have to cull
when i was trying to keep everything alive i have to cull more then 20% of the fish.
which i still end up with 300+ fish
i never saw a spawn with high maintain without a single cull.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #108 
bettalover2033

Well I have had many spawns and have never had to cull before. So i can disagree that you will have to cull in every batch.

What do you mean by: "the more effort you take to caring the frys.
the more you have to cull"?

My view on that is, (if you work too hard you will have to cull more fry than you wanted to)?
Old 12-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #109 
Curlyfatbottom

will luck must be on your side then.
produce over 10000 in my time.
with many spawn.
producing ace and sq fish.
with big spawn i always have to cull (200+ fry to adult)
yes culling in some people eyes is different from other.
i cull fish with uneven fin
short body
undesirable color/fin
bent fin
lock jaw
bent back
unhealthy fish
and ect
please if your going to breed
don't pass on bad gene.
if the batch have a high deform fish.
cull the whole batch.
cause it just make more problem with future breeding.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #110 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curlyfatbottom View Post
will luck must be on your side then.
produce over 10000 in my time.
with many spawn.
producing ace and sq fish.
with big spawn i always have to cull (200+ fry to adult)
yes culling in some people eyes is different from other.
i cull fish with uneven fin
short body
undesirable color/fin
bent fin
lock jaw
bent back
unhealthy fish
and ect
please if your going to breed
don't pass on bad gene.
if the batch have a high deform fish.
cull the whole batch.
cause it just make more problem with future breeding.
I agree with you to cull bent backs, locked jaw, unhealthy fish, ect. But I would never cull a perfectly healthy fry even if it has bad fins and horrible colors that I or someone I know wouldnt want. That is what I would call cruelty, but many live by. This is why I would use the "adopt a cull" program.

I don't see the point of having the fish that are in good health, can live normally, and have safe and happy lives, culled. Not everyone wants to breed, and many of us know it isn't wise to breed culls. (If you have even taken the time to understand and read my thread you will know what are my opinions and preferences.

As I stated before, I believe that fry who are really just undesirable fish, should be given a home even though they have bad fins (for example). Many of us buy culls all the time, if you believe that fish with bad looking fins (ugly), bad color patterns, and/or a "runt" should be culled, I don't suggest you go to a pet store because most of that is what you will see. (Some will be quality fish, but rarely).

Also when you said: "please if your going to breed
don't pass on bad gene." I never said that I wanted to breed any cull (if that is what you were referring to) I will simply let them live as pets. (Not in my home) but many people who are looking for a "pet" will be interested in having one free of charge.

-BL2033