Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-03-2011, 06:03 PM   #111 
DarkMoon17

bettalover2033- You do need to be realistic... It will be impossible to adopt out all of the undesirable fish in a large spawn. With smaller spawns (under 60 or so), it is reasonable to adopt out the fish that cannot be sold because there are not many of them. However. When you have a spawn of 160, like I do, it is physically impossible to adopt out that many fish. There are probably about 80 or so fish in this spawn alone who I would deem "unsellable", mostly because of poor color. I adopt out what I can, but by no means is that all of them. There simply is not enough demand. For one, everyone wants female culls since they are easy to house but it's the males that drain all of your time and recourses. Usually there aren't many cull females at all, just males. Wether I like it or not, I will have to cull some perfectly healthy bettas because I do not have the space or time to take care of all of them. I don't want to, but I'd rather cull them then sell them to a petstore or neglect them. Culling and breeding are hand in hand... it isn't pretty and we can do what we can to limit it, but eventually culling healthy fish will be necessary.
DarkMoon17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:25 PM   #112 
GreenTea

Well said Darkmoon. I had to cull a 9 day old fry the other day. He or she was spiraling and it was painful to watch them try to get to the top continuously with a deformed swim bladder. Initially I thought well I'll feed him to my goldfish and platys....but when the time came realizing it would more than likely live for awhile in the cold water and suffer, I decided to crush the head and spare the fish panicked cold moments. It's up to each to decide but it is a necessity. I think Darkmoon and Cajun said it best.

Last edited by GreenTea; 12-03-2011 at 06:29 PM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:33 PM   #113 
Curlyfatbottom

bad gene mean only one or two out of 200 fishs look like a sd fish and sell them as sq price.
get tick off when i buy a fish that don't breed true or high deform rate.
ex
buying a pair of hm
don't get any fish with 180 spread(out of 200 fish)
Curlyfatbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 06:36 PM   #114 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
bettalover2033- You do need to be realistic... It will be impossible to adopt out all of the undesirable fish in a large spawn. With smaller spawns (under 60 or so), it is reasonable to adopt out the fish that cannot be sold because there are not many of them. However. When you have a spawn of 160, like I do, it is physically impossible to adopt out that many fish. There are probably about 80 or so fish in this spawn alone who I would deem "unsellable", mostly because of poor color. I adopt out what I can, but by no means is that all of them. There simply is not enough demand. For one, everyone wants female culls since they are easy to house but it's the males that drain all of your time and recourses. Usually there aren't many cull females at all, just males. Wether I like it or not, I will have to cull some perfectly healthy bettas because I do not have the space or time to take care of all of them. I don't want to, but I'd rather cull them then sell them to a petstore or neglect them. Culling and breeding are hand in hand... it isn't pretty and we can do what we can to limit it, but eventually culling healthy fish will be necessary.
I see a better side to that. Thank you. I know that in a spawn with as many as 100 or more there will be at least a few culls, but I don't believe that in EVERY batch of fry, there is a few that need to be culled. If the pair has not bred before and they are either too old or weren't conditioned properly, there will definitely be a lot of culls, but if they are a healthy pair and everything was done right, I see no reason to have as many culls as the other. I'm not saying that there will never be culls if everything was done perfectly.

I am saying from experience that I have had many quality and petstore pairs and have not yet come across to having to cull in the 2 and a half years of breeding. Not as much as a lot of breeders, but I know enough that every spawn doesn't have to have a cull. I say that mostly to insure Curlyfatbottom.

@DarkMoon17
I know eventually I will have to cull fish that are culls or are healthy fish, if I dont have all the ideal set ups and requirements.

That also goes back to being prepared because you could never have too many tanks when you are breeding. It's like packing a suitcase and going on vacation. You may plan to stay only a week and stay there 3 days longer.

As much as I would like to save every fry out there, I know that I can't. I know that with quality fish I can have from 70-500+ fry. Obviously I dont have much room for over 300 bettas and know for a fact that I can't keep them all, but I will do the best that I can to find as many homes as I can because when breeding, there comes problems and some that are easier said than done. When breeding, I know that it will be impossible to adopt out all the undesirable fry.

The one thing that I would never do is sell or give them away to a pet store! That is just torture to the fish. Not only the pet stores fault, but the people that are looking to have some decoration in their home. After seeing what happens in those stores behind the backs of the employees are ridiculous. Bettas are too easy to mess with because they are kept in small bowls.

Last edited by bettalover2033; 12-03-2011 at 06:42 PM.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #115 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMoon17 View Post
Very well said!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:29 PM   #116 
Curlyfatbottom

will when i spawn during late spring and through summer.
my average size spawn 150.
and if i have something im chasing for.
i'll have like 6-10 breeding in a 2 month period.
to reduce the time to get my goal.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:45 PM   #117 
bettalover2033

I see. That's great. When you say "I'll have 6-10 breeding in a two month period, do you mean breeding pairs? Or Them breeding?
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #118 
Curlyfatbottom

6-10 different spawn
Old 12-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #119 
bettalover2033

Oh wow.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #120 
Curlyfatbottom

yes think how many fish i'll have in 6 month.
power growing them in the first two month then switching there diet.
with space and time with my youth.
i can't manage to house all the fish.
give out 10-20 fish at a time,plus sell and still have to many left over.
creating your own fish will led to a lot of fish.