Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 AM   #1 
Gloria

Getting a Tattoo..

So I am thinking of getting a tattoo, but I was hoping for some help/ advice..
I am wanting 'Come What May'
I am still unsure of where I want it?!
and also
I am unsure if I want just the 3 words, or if I should get it translated into Italian/ Irish.
What do you think?
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #2 
BeautifulBetta

im quite partial to irish tattoos :) I like the saying! You could almost get some kind of celtic design with it to tie it together. If you choose Irish anyway..lol. Italian might be neat too, if you find some kind of really cool font to do it in :)
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:38 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

I would talk to a tattoo artist about it.. As far as placement--Remember, no matter how classy or meaningful a tattoo is, many people are still judgemental about them, so place it in a place where it can be covered up. Like, lol, don't cover your face with that tattoo haha. Think about your body and where you think it would look good. Places that move a lot tend to fade quickly and places that are prone to weight changes(aka girls who get tattoos on lower tummy and then get pregnant) can mess things up.

My personal places I would like to get a tattoo.. Well, it depends on the tattoo. I know if I were to get a tattoo of something I want to remember--a daily mantra type thing or something that I need to have--to remember I'm loved, to remember to be strong, or to remind me of some belief that when I see it will strengthen me.. I like the idea of placing the tattoo sort of below the wrist. Like if you were to secretly write a cheat sheet on your arm right before a test. I can look down and see the image and remember why I'm doing what I'm doing and how I got there/who helped me get this far. Of course to have it look right to others it would look upside down to me, but just seeing the reminder is nice. For a place like that it would need to be small and classy though. But it's easily hidden under long sleeves.

I also like the shoulder area, right in front for guys but also in back for girls. I want a centerpiece on my upper shoulder/back area. Just a small simple tattoo, almost to have the same effect that a small necklace would(except on the back lol) showing my personal symbol for my art--my shortened signature. Kind of a label of who I am and what I do. It would be placed low enough that most shirts cover it naturally and it would only be seen if I were to like, where a dress that cuts low in the back and wear my hair up. Then it's just a pretty little symbol right there.

I also like the kind of off center lower back area--not tramp stamp, more towards the side, like hugging/wrapping the hip. This is where my largest tattoo would be. Kind of a compilation of all of the things that are important to me. It all will start with a tattoo of a grizzly bear standing next to a lamb. Represents the relationship my grandfather and I had--He actually went by the name "Bear" and always called me "lamb"..He always was behind me and pushed me forward. He sat me down to watch animal planet, he subscribed me to National Geographic, he bought me almost all of my art supplies. Whatever dream I had, he'd do his best to make it a reality. So the loss of him really struck, but I know he's still around being a big protective bear ready to save me whenever anything goes wrong, so I love the idea of showing that through an image to take with me forever. Behind the animal duo I would later add bits of nature..maybe a tree that can start to morph and form into other things. Maybe animals to represent my love of nature, but also symbols related to art and other things I find important in my life. And of course, on my torso the tattoo would almost never be seen, except by those close enough with me who share my feelings and would really understand them. It's a more personal tattoo, so I guess it would be closer to my body.

BUT..that is just me. Everyone is different. Some people like to have HUGE letters going across their back, some people just like tiny words in cursive, a whispering reminder. It's also your body. Know your body and shape and figure out where you think a tattoo would look good. Maybe get a henna kit and get someone to draw a 'test' tattoo on you. Wear it on you for the week or so the henna lasts and see if you like the placement. If not, try again. Then of course also take into account--can I hide the tattoo if needed? Sadly it's important, no matter how pure the tattoo idea is. Also take into accoount pain--Closer to bone, the more it hurts. Ribs hurt, ankles hurt, hands hurt. Etc. :) Talk to your artist--make sure he's good at lettering, not everyone is. Ask him about it being in Irish or English. Talk to family, friends, etc.

Then when you get the tattoo..make sure you take care of it!!! It's awful to spend so much to get a really good tattoo and then have it get infected and ruined forever!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #4 
ManInBlack2010

that saying in irish would be really cool! i really want to get "cowgirls don't cry" on my back between my shoulder blades but i think i'm never gonna be brave enough to do it, lol
ManInBlack2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 PM   #5 
Gloria

Thanx everyone. I am thinking I will either get it on my foot or on my wrist, but im not too sure yet..
I have always wanted 'LOVE' tattooed on my left wrist. So maybe I could get it on my right..
Im not too sure about getting it translated as it then gets bigger. but will see :)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:46 PM   #6 
Silverfang

I believe that anyplace with little "padding" is prone to be more painful. I have one, and it is just above my ankle on my inner leg. I wanted it to be someplace I could see it. It's a dragon, kinda smallish, it's about the size of a credit card.

If you get one, make sure of it, you're stuck with it for a long time. Also there is the possibility of fading, colours tend to fade more than black, so unless you get a really good artist, you will probably need a touch up at some point. I had a good one, 10 years later and barely any colour loss.

As for pain factor, for me it was like being clawed by a cat repeatedly.

This part is more personal opinion, but avoid anything around your butt, it seems, uh, not classy.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:24 AM   #7 
Gloria

yeah I have a very low pain tolerence, so i will probably cry like a baby lol.. hopefully ill be ok. :) I just have to decide where i want it :)
Old 11-26-2011, 04:18 AM   #8 
GreenTea

Well as far as placement, just go with what will look natural with the shape of your body. Nothing looks more awkward to me than a tattoo placed in a place that doesn't flow with your shape...

General rule is: more fat and less muscle/bone = less pain. I have an Atlas moth on the back/nape of my neck and I wouldn't put it anywhere else, it looks beautiful there. The only painful part were the wing tips that went out toward the side of my neck where the skin is more sensitive. More thin skin/nerves will be painful too. So feet, hands, sides of neck, ribs, and hip bone area are very painful. Butt, outer upper arm, and front side of thigh would be less painful. The center of anyones butt is the best place in terms of pain, it's not sensitive and there's fat there! The pain can be intense, but because it's in such a small area that it's tolerable, for me at least.

I have a high pain tolerance so for me it's not so bad. Also I vote Italian, as it will have more flowing letters and probably look better on your body just about anywhere. And to me Irish patterned tattoos, especially around words, looks blocky and tacky.

Last edited by GreenTea; 11-26-2011 at 04:21 AM.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #9 
Gloria

Thanx Greentea. I would love to see a picture of your tattoo :)
I am thinking once I design it i will draw in on me and take a photo, in each place I am thinking I would be ok getting it, I know it wont look the exact same/ as good, but itll give me a rough idea of what itd actually look like rather than just visualising it :) probably a dumb idea, but i dont care.
I like the italian idea too, but it ends up being about 6 words and doesnt mean exactly the same. So i will probably just get the 3 words, maybe with a pattern around them or something. Ill draw up a few idea and post on here for input :)
Old 11-26-2011, 06:50 AM   #10 
Tikibirds

I want a tatoo but I am not sure what I want.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote