Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #1 
titusthebetta

Baby bettas?

So like every other person, I was out Black Friday shopping, in particular I was scoping out the pet stores for tanks and whatnot. However, at Petco, they had a particular section devoted to "Baby Bettas," so much that the fish guy took me over to see them. They just looked like REALLY small females, but a part of me wondered whether it is even right for these places to be selling bettas that young. Don't the require special care?

Has anyone else seen this at their local stores?
titusthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

I'm in Canada, but I noticed my store is selling very young Bettas compared to what they were this summer. We're also getting Bettas other than Blue/Red VT. My new boy Gadget looks like a small fry compared to my other boys who came home full grown. I wonder if this is a new trend? Although I think it's great for people like us who want to spend a little more time with our Bettas, it's not good for people who are new to Bettas or don't wish to properly care for them. I also noticed the younger ones are not handling the stress of Ammonia as much :( My poor Sheldon (I got last week) passed away from simple Ammonia poisoning I've treated before with success.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 01:08 PM   #3 
kfryman

I have seen lots of bettas that are being sold very young where I live. When I get a female I am going to make sure she has an egg spot

Last edited by kfryman; 11-25-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: wrong word
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #4 
kfryman

I saw a white delta tail at Petco I'm gonna go back in a bit to get a 2.5 gallon tank and the fish
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #5 
Marvelous

I was in Petco today buying plants and asking about crowntail females for my sorority. The employee pointed the babies out to me, because there were some females there. They were so tiny!
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 PM   #6 
EvilVOG

glad i saw this post... there isn't a petco real close so i looked them up. Amazed they have females by type. may have to take the extra drive to check it out tomorrow.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #7 
zepherina

the petsmart seems to be selling young bettas, i know my CT boy is small, or maybe i just think he should be bigger, im not sure lol all the full grown ones on AB and such seem way bigger than he is, but i know my multi vt female is tiny compared to my other two vt females.

we have a local petstore where i always buy my rats as babies cause since their suppose to be feeder rats anyways, i buy them and raise em. i always feel like in a way ive saved them ;p but i checked out the bettas there and they were all vts, and surprisingly they all looked good, but they probably just got them in because im not sure ive seen bettas there before, i dont go there much.

but the petco by my has bigger bettas, my cousin got her gorgeous cellophane (atleast i THINK thats the right tern for his color) HM there.
zepherina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 AM   #8 
Gizmothefreaky

I picked up one of those babies today, he is pretty cute, but his stress striped have NOT gone away, even after being in his new home with heated water and places to hide. :/
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:26 AM   #9 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Many bettas are sold after they're 2 months. They're often 2 cm in total - sometimes bigger and sometimes smaller. The only difference between these juvies and adults is their self esteem. As most young creatures, they are easily frightened. But if they're not intimidated by other fish, bettas or other fish, they will develop into gorgeous adults with normal.... often better self esteem.

When buying low self esteem bettas, it's best to keep them in smaller tanks until they eat normally. Putting them in large tanks with a lot of hiding places might make them hide when you try to feed them - making adaptation process longer.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #10 
Gizmothefreaky

He was in a 1.5 gallon with a cave and a couple plants, i think the stress was too much, even after a long acclimation and darkness, i found him passed away this morning, stress stripes still pretty dark.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote