Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 PM   #1 
freeflow246

How do you catch your fish for water changes?

Just curious. Catching Sushi sin't so hard; it's easy to tempt him into a cup with a little bit of food, though he's too wise now to just scoop up. I have to actually get him inside and distracted.

Jalen on the other hand is a challenge. Usually takes me about 20 -30 minutes of patient waiting. He is way too fast to catch by scooping him up (and I practice parkour and am not too shabby at CoD, so I'd think my reflexes were pretty sharp :P), so I have to wait for him to enter a cup, and he won't go near it unless I drop some food inside it. Even then he usually snaps it up and darts back out before I can lift it. Crafty little bugger.

What about ya'll? Any particular methods you use?
freeflow246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

All my tanks are cycled now except for my 3 foster fish so I don't take fish out very often. For my 1 gallon foster tanks all I do is pour them out into a net over the sink, refill the tank, and dump them back in.

If I do need to catch a fish I just snatch it out with the net when it comes up for food.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #3 
Indyfishy

I find it easiest to come in behind them with the cup and quickly fill the cup with water directly behind them. The current created from the water flowing into the cup is too strong for them to swim against, so they just plop right in!! But I have to do it quick so they don't see me coming haha! I have to do that for both of my males, but my female will willingly swim straight into a cup with no trouble X)
Indyfishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:09 PM   #4 
Luimeril

i catch them in the cup. sometimes, i'll chase them against he wall, then put the cup over them. once i have the cup around them, i tap the glass gently, and they dash fully into the cup, and then i just scoop them out. :U
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #5 
Lighterman

I never try to chase them or use a net at any source. For large tanks, i use a foam cup cut in half to slowly slip under the fish while in bowls I use my hands. All my bettas are fine with it; I don't literally "grab" the fish with my hands, just the same scooping action. This can reduce your bettas attitude of being scared of everything and become much more tame, so much I can even put my finger next to their bodies they won't even budge.
Lighterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #6 
freeflow246

I did use a cup at first, and would quickly scoop them up, using the suction to pull them in, but Sushi makes me try a few times, and Jalen is too fast and to strong. He can swim against the current created by any cup that will fit into his tank. :O

@ Lighterman - Using your hands sounds interesting. I might even be able to do that with Sushi; he would nibble my finger and hover in my palm from day 1.
freeflow246 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #7 
Lighterman

Yup. ;D My bettas won't hop when I scoop em up with my hand.
Lighterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #8 
youlovegnats

I use a cup, and chase them in with my hand and gently scoop 'em out. :D
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #9 
Mars788

I very very VERY carefully use net then quickly relocate him into his mini-travel-cup of bowl water.
Mars788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 AM   #10 
Pitluvs

We do the cup, and for stubborn ones I just scoop them out with my hand, I make sure to keep a little water in my hand while I do.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote