Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #1 
Marvelous

New female clamped and not eating

I bought a female yesterday that is currently quarantined in a 1 gallon bowl. She has not eaten yet, and just sits at the bottom of the bowl, all of her fins are clamped. I changed her water this morning and only filled the bowl half way. Her bowl is not filtered, not heated (I think I may have killed the last girl by overheating her), no decorations. It is kept on a dark shelf for now. I used aqueon betta bowl for her conditioner. Should I do aquarium salt? Any help is appreciated!
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #2 
Myates

How did you acclimate her to the new tank water when you got her? And when you did the half gallon water change? Was the temp the same as in her cup, and when you replaced it? Conditioner?

If you didn't take her out and acclimate her to the new water, and if you didn't acclimate to both temp and chemistry when you first placed her in, then it could easily (and sounds like) she is in a little shock and stressed.
What is the temp of the water? She needs a heater.. just use a thermometer to keep an eye on the temp.

She is stressed from the new move, so she will need a place to hide in to feel safe.
Plants, a cave.. something. She went from a small tiny cup to a (for her) big place with no where to hide, no where to go.. she is probably really stressed from feeling over exposed.

So it can definitely be a mix of how you acclimated her, and that she has inadequate hiding places to feel secure.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #3 
Marvelous

I'll add a hiding spot. I just floated her cup in the new bowl for about 2 hours before putting her in. She will be moved to the community tank after quarantine, so this bowl is just a stepping stone. Don't want you to think I'm leaving her there forever ;)
I'm nervous about the heater since we're gone all day and the room gets really warm. Any heater suggestions for a small bowl?
Marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #4 
Bettas Rule
Banned

If you can find live black worms I would use them to get a betta to eat. I have never seen a betta turn down a live black worm. If she is sick that's another story but many betta's for some reason are not keen on pellets at first so black worms are a for sure bet . Good luck with your new girl!!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:13 PM   #5 
Luimeril

since you just bought her, she may be a little freaked out by her new surroundings. give her a little time, and i'm sure she'll perk up! i agree, that a cave, or plant in there will help her feel more secure about the move.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote