Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #1 
toughcookie

Homemade aquarium accessories

I want to see all of your homemade fish toys, caves, and any other creative fish decoration ideas that you guys have!
toughcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #2 
MoePaac

I have made homemade decorations in the past, but am currently just using rocks and wood I have found. Here are some links that may give you and others some good ideas:

PVC cave
Coconut cave
Styrofoam background - I have seen various versions of this idea on many forums. I really want to try this one out!
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #3 
Draug Isilme

MoePaac: Wow, those are really neat ^.^ I wonder if you could tie something like an anubias plant to the PVC cave? The coconut cave, I usually don't care about those too much, but the added java moss just makes it pop somehow and I like it >.> The styrofoam background is just badass, I love it!! Especially since it's much lighter than a real rock... I was wanting to add some larger rocks to a larger tank in the future when I'm able to get one, but I was worried about the weight... I guess with this, I'd be able to make some large fake ones and not have to worry about the weight as much ^.^
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #4 
MoePaac

Most definitely add some anubias or java fern! I'm a huge advocate of plants. I keep all NPTs and love it.
Old 11-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #5 
Sweeda88

I made these two caves. The first one is a rock arch, and the second one is shown in a tank. It's a glass jar that I covered with gravel. I didn't just roll it in gravel, I put the gravel on piece by piece. I also included an up close photo of the glass cave.
Attached Images

Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:58 AM   #6 
Jodah

that pvc pipe cave is awesome and natural looking! Forget spending 17 bucks on a skull mountain cave. I'm doing that!

Question: Does hot glue leach anything into the water after a while? I have aquarium silicone though. Suppose I should just use that.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:03 AM   #7 
Sweeda88

Don't use hot glue. Never use any adhesive other than AQ silicone in a fish tank.
Sweeda88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #8 
MoePaac

I think everyone will agree that aquarium safe silicone is the way to go. However, I have heard some say hot glue is ok to use, others say they wouldn't risk it, some say not to use it.

Personally, I would use hot glue, but I do have silicone on hand and so would use that up first. An idea would be to put it together using a little hot glue (since it dries so quickly) then go around and cover/reinforce with silicone. That may be easiest/best option.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:12 AM   #9 
Jodah

Yeah, sort of what i was thinking to myself as well. Looks like I'll be stopping at home depot for some GE #1 silicone.
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #10 
Draug Isilme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweeda88 View Post
Don't use hot glue. Never use any adhesive other than AQ silicone in a fish tank.
There are other alternatives that are cheaper and still just as aquarium safe, it's just a matter of knowing what to look for along with research >.>
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote