Betta Fish Forum banner

Any ideas?

705 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  PixelatedPaint 
#1 ·
Alright, so I know this might sound silly but...well I am confused about the gender of my betta. Now I bought it labelled as a female, but its bigger than all my males and over twice the size of my females...has a bigger beard area than all my females...and is really really aggressive. She flares like a boy. I just found one of the smaller bettas in the tank dead this morning. The fin length has double in the last few days and she behaves differently than my other females. I know its silly but do you think it might just be a late blooming male? I've never seen a short finned male here ( all VTs) so I know I am clueless at gendering any short finned bettas. I just want to be sure before I reintroduce her, if she is a her and if I should reintroduce or just go get another tank.

here is a link to a short vid of her/him. The coloration is like a female, but the fins and beard are darker and the vid might not show it but her scales are all defined by red, which is getting darker and darker.

http://youtu.be/lcbydXyFjqM

here are the few pictures that I managed to take. It is one fast betta....

So yeah, is it a he or a she? We dubbed her hermiette because we thought she was just a large manly female...hermaphrodite? xD I know its silly but yeah. Is it possible she is a male and just a kind ive never seen in my area? colors are getting darker and it looks like the body might go solid or have dark outlines for each scale. Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a pretty cambodian female :)
Females can get very large, and each one has their own personality so they will acti differently.
Plakats are the males with short fins, but you can still tell the difference between a Plakat and a female.
Not to mention, Plakats tend to be quite a bit more, price wise, then others.

Plakat male on left, female on right.

Attachments

#5 ·
Female cambodian, looks to be a VT.
She doesn't have the beard it looks like, and hard to see in the picture whether she has an egg spot.
Females can and sometimes do make bubblenests. They do it for pretty much the same reasons as males: wanting a mate, territory, weather system. Normally not as large as a male's, but they can and do.. mine have done small ones.

#6 ·
Mine is now a huge nest though. I read somewhere as well trhat females can make bubbles but not so much nests... so I am wondering if this is a very young plakat? I know she/he doesnt really look it but the nest is huge now and the betta is getting big and bright fast. double the size of my males. The place where the vts were bred also breeds plakats...not the true plakats but the decorative? ones.

#11 ·
After reading up I think she is an older female the breeder was probably done with. She is probably making bubble nests because shes used to mating. I will keep her in her own tank until she passes. Years, months or weeks. I have the room. She is far too aggresive to keep with the other females.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.