Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #1 
jeterfan3

Thumbs down New Member: Fish Jumped Out of Bowl

This morning up feeding my bettta, named LilFish, he was not in his bowl. I noticed a dead fly floating on top of his bowl which makes him crazy when stupid fish land in his bowl. He jumped and landed in my school bag. I don't know for how long he was in my bag, between 2 am and 9:30 am.

Anyway, I went to local Pet Store and picked up Maracyn and Stress Zyme as that is what local Pet store told me to put in the water and advised me to remove the fly which I did all of these things.

I will tell you that when we did find Lil Fish, my daughter was holding him while I was upset. She had him in a towel and he moved. She put him in the bowl and he started moving about. We could NOT believe it at all. His fins are still not right. He is not himself, as you can imagine.

Please provide any advice and hope that you can pass on and thank you in advance.
jeterfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #2 
Silverfang

for now I'd just cover his tank with a towel to keep it dark, and keep things quiet.

AT this point it's time and up to him.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....and dang these jumping Bettas...usually they will recover if he was not out of the water too long.....we need more info too....

Right now-if you have any tannins-like IAL or dried Oak leaf I would add them to the tank-keep the water temp in the 76-77F range for now and hold food today.

Complete this form and post a pic if you can....
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 12:53 PM   #4 
jeterfan3

I have never heard of tannins. I will see if local store has any. I had to drive 30-45 minutes for a store that had the stress zyme and maracyn! It's crazy that I live in the sticks! Thank you for the tips. He swims around occasionally and his body will flop sideways like he's dying--but he's not, like he's relaxing.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #5 
jeterfan3

Pic of LilFish

Attaching a pic - hope this works...
Attached Images

Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #6 
jeterfan3

Notice his fins and how they are not stretched out. Poor guy.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #7 
Silverfang

he appears to be clamped. I'd still suggest you let him rest.

It's unlikely you'll find any tannins at a pet store. Indian almond leaves or dried oak leaves, pesticide free will provide tannins.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #8 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Most betta's can come through this. I had a female jump out and all of her fins were dried out. She lost her fins but she made it and the fins grew back too. Time and a lil stress coat is the only thing that can heal your poor guy at this point.. Good luck!!
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:26 PM   #9 
Oldfishlady

If you have any Oak trees in your area that are pesticide free...use them...that is what I use (I live out in the sticks too)....naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves...about 12-18 crushed per gallon of premixed treatment water...the longer they steep the more tannins will release the darker the water the more the Betta likes it....be sure and properly acclimate to the new chemistry too...by adding small amounts of the premixed treatment water to the holding container over a period of time....

Since he is floating or flopping on his side-he may need Epsom salt, however, at this point sometimes less is best....a dim lit low traffic location-even a towel over the container to help him de-stress and recover-crush up a couple of Oak leaves and add them to his container he is in-don't go too high on the temp at this point either 76-77F at most...if he is still having buoyancy problems in 24 hours I would start him on Epsom salt then....but until then...just peace and quite some tanned water and let his immune response do the rest.....

Good luck and keep us posted....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 11-26-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #10 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If you have any Oak trees in your area that are pesticide free...use them...that is what I use....naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaves...about 12-18 crushed per gallon of premixed treatment water
Yep this works too! I always have one leaf in each of my betta's tanks.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote