Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #11 
jeterfan3

I will find some tonight. Thank you so very much everyone. I moved him to the dining room table and put a towel around him. My dining room area is the darkest. I really hope he gets better. I cried so hard when I found him in my school bag. I am 40 years old and it was my student teaching bag nearby. I really hope he gets well. Thanks everyone so very much, and I will keep you posted. I hate that he is laying on his side. He looks dead but he's not.
jeterfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:10 PM   #12 
inkrealm

poor baby D:
yes, take the advice already given by these guys... be good and quiet too, no loud or sudden noises ( slamming cabinets etc. )
just give him time and space.... ( don't check on him more than every two hours and try not to let him see you, only the TINIEST peek if you really want to check on him.... ) if it's any help there was a betta who jumped out earlier and lost his entire tail.... recovered fine... ^-^
remember that bettas breathe air like us, so while they need water at least he could still breathe a good bit.... the flopping around may just be shock and/or mild suffocation... he looked very pale in that picture which is generally a very good sign of shock... time alone will help this though.... my boy started to turn white once and I just left the room and stayed out for half an hour to an hour and when I came back he was fine and the white was gone... for this guy it could take longer than that though.... best hopes for your poor baby... <3
inkrealm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #13 
jeterfan3

Thanks Ink! I peeked in on him before reading your post. I won't peek anymore. The first time I peeked, he was laying down on the floor of the tank which surprised me because before I covered him, he was laying on his side on top of tank. A few minutes ago when I peeked, his head was pointing down and his body was like mid-air. Again, I won't peek anymore, just making me crazy on how he's doing...just have to be patient which I don't have much of.

Thanks so much :) I hope he will be ok.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:44 PM   #14 
Oldfishlady

You may need to lower the water level if he seems to be struggling too much to swim in the tank if its very deep...did you add any tannins or just some crushed dried Oak leaf to the water
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #15 
jeterfan3

It's a small oval tank, a desktop type tank. I don't think depth is a concern. It's not a huge tank at all.

I haven't added any oak leaf to it. It is Upstate New York here, and I don't know what is an oak tree really. All of the leaves are down here. I don't know one dead leaf from next. I used to have oak trees at my old house. They didn't have any in my local Walmart. I am not sure where else to go.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:20 PM   #16 
erinandares

When I had to get oak leaves for my jumper, I didn't know which leaf to get, either... ): But oak leaves are the ones with multiple lobes coming off the center of the leaf. :3 Like this:
Basic oak leaf:
Name:  oakleave.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  7.4 KB
erinandares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #17 
inkrealm

haha, I know what you mean, I crowd my boy half to death sometimes even though it almost always ends up being counterproductive x3;
fish who are extremely lacking in oxygen usually lurk near the top which is the area closest to it ofcourse :3 I've seen this to be true with fish who receive oxygen from the water, so I'm sure it's probably fairly similar with fish who get it above the water... maybe more so now that I think about it x3;
so the fact that he's down on the bottom means he's probably in the sleeping stage now~ I hate it when they sleep, everybody teases me he looks dead haha xc
I tell them not to use the d word with my fish ;-;

the floating lends to the sleep idea I think ^-^ and also sounds like it looked a bit silly, which is always a good sign with these ridiculous boys. they love to freak the hell out of us. <3
the other thing I think I forgot to mention-- once he's chilled out a little, if you don't wanna use the leaves, I'd look into some Stress Coat+ ( from API, usually with the conditioners ) it's technically a conditioner itself, but I just use it with my regular dose of Prime. it'll help further de-stress him and it also promotes fin regrowth and slime coat health, which he'll probably need after being out of his tank. ^-^; I'm so glad my guy isn't a jumper. you might look into a hood, make-shift lid, or just leave a couple inches at the top.... in my hospital tank, which is unhooded, that's generally what I do even though the only time I've ever seen him jump was for food... it's crazy how high they can jump when they put their minds to it 0.o

once we get past this stage we can look into any other issues he may have gotten...
Old 11-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #18 
jeterfan3

Thanks Ink--means a lot. I did provide him with Stress Coat. That was first thing I did. I really want to peek in on him, it has been a while.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #19 
inkrealm

if it's been a couple hours you could peek in a corner of the towel... ^-^ just be really slow and quiet :3 good job on the stress coat :D b
Old 11-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #20 
jeterfan3

Thanks so much! :) I will check on him now! Yeay! :) Fingers crossed!